VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I have four .avi files totalling 31GB. Two questions- Approx What size will the one file be after joining them in Virtualdub? Due to my error, When I captured the DV from my Canon using Enosoft , two of the files are Type 1 and the other two are Type 2. Can VirtualDub still do its thing on them..?

I havn't used VirtualDub, but have read quite a bit on this forum about it.

appreciate it,

JaredKnight
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I believe virtualdub only handles one type of DV avi, however there are converters to switch types, so that should not be an issue. If you just append them virtualdub and save with Direct Stream Copy then the finished file should be 31 GB.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It depends on what version of VD, but I would change them all to Type 1 or Type 2. Older VDs or VDM use Type 2. You can do this easily with Ulead DV Type 1 to DV Type 2 Converter or Canopus DV File Converter.

It should come out to 31GB when joined Whether your system or VD handles that, I don't know. Why do you need to join them, moving though the file for editing may be very slow. And you will need 2X - 3X the room of your files on your hard drive or about 93GB That's the original, the joined and the edited.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by JaredKnight
    I have four .avi files totalling 31GB. Two questions- Approx What size will the one file be after joining them in Virtualdub?
    31 GB. Use Video -> Direct Stream Copy.

Originally Posted by JaredKnight
    Due to my error, When I captured the DV from my Canon using Enosoft , two of the files are Type 1 and the other two are Type 2. Can VirtualDub still do its thing on them..?
    I'm not sure. You could always convert them two type 1 files to type 2.

I must be slow tonight.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The latest version of Vdub will accept Type1 or Type2, however it probably won't append them together. You could join them using AViSynth. Use DirectShowSource() for the Type1s and AVISource() for the Type2s. Test the Type1s audio to make sure it is read correctly(might read as 32000 instead of 48000). This can be corrected using SSRC(48000)
    Example script:

V1 = DirectShowSource("MyType1Video1.avi").SSRC(48000)
    V2 = DirectShowSource("MyType1Video2.avi").SSRC(48000)
    V3 = AVISource("MyType2Video1.avi")
    V4 = AVISource("MyType2Video2.avi")
    Return(V1++V2++V3++V4)
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The problem with using avisynth is that you must re-encode them, which takes time (and we are talking about 2 and half hours of footage) and potentially reduces quality. Not necessary, IMO, in the case.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Deleted.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JaredKnight
    Hi,

I have four .avi files totalling 31GB. Two questions- Approx What size will the one file be after joining them in Virtualdub? Due to my error, When I captured the DV from my Canon using Enosoft , two of the files are Type 1 and the other two are Type 2. Can VirtualDub still do its thing on them..?

I havn't used VirtualDub, but have read quite a bit on this forum about it.

appreciate it,

JaredKnight
    You must check on the video tab and the audio tab and select "direct stream copy"
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by guns1inger
    The problem with using avisynth is that you must re-encode them, which takes time (and we are talking about 2 and half hours of footage) and potentially reduces quality. Not necessary, IMO, in the case.
    True, I assumed there was a destination in mind other than archive, in which case encoding would be happening anyway and using AviSynth eliminates the need to alter the files to join them for encoding. If not encoding then I fail to see the point of joining the DV-AVI files into one since the only current media that you can archive a file that large to is a hard drive. But only the OP knows for sure...
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Duh..! I found that in Enosoft DV(the program I originally used to capture my camcorder DV), I can run the file thru again and convert it...source> DV avi Type 1---output> DV avi Type 2.
    Tks for all the suggestions...

JaredKnight
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thanks for using our program!

If you need to do the conversion again, you can make it run faster. By default, the processor runs in real-time, so a 10 minute Type 1 DV AVI will take 10 minutes to convert. For faster conversion, before selecting the input and output, use the main configuration dialog to disable navigation/seeking. Once done, just proceed as usual. Also, when converting, minimize the application. This prevents Windows from drawing the small videos and other visual items.
    John Miller
    Quote Quote