I have a problem which I hope you can help me with, I have a friend who is the owner of two RDR-HX525 DVD recorders. Both of these items are located in the same premises but in separate rooms. During the week he likes to record programmes of interest and play them back when he has a free moment, on either of the two units.

He records programmes using Philips RW discs and checks that the recording has performed as it should, leaving the disc in the machine until such time when he wishes to watch it in full. When he chooses to watch the recorded programmes, he now finds that he is confronted with a messages stating that the recorded disc cannot be played back, indeed the disc will not show any listing what so ever and is rendered useless being unable to be re-formatted or re- used. What is most unusual about this fault is that is occurs on both sets, sometimes at the same time and sometimes on only one. He has installed a surge protector which protects both units and still the problem arises.

Another of his friends, with more knowledge of the subject than I have, has said "The discs are getting zapped?, via a power surge". Although this sounds like a reasonable explanation, I find it hard to believe, unless someone can shed some light on it. Does anyone have any experience they could share with me in trying to sort this problem out. Thanks....Mike