VideoHelp Forum
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM

I have used ffmpegX to encode a two hour 720x480 miniDV quicktime into an mpeg2 using the ffmpegX encode setting to burn onto a 4GB DVD. When I playback the DVD there is a flicker in the scenes.

What is causing this? Is it bad encoding - the fact that it is two hours of full resolution compressed into mpeg no larger than 4GB? Can I do anything to fix it or prevent it from happening again? Does it have anything to do with keyframing at certain rates or not keyframing?

Any ideas???

2. If the source framerate is 23.97 you need to use DVD mpeg2enc and check the "Set 3:2" box under options.

3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's the strange thing - the source framerate is 29.97 aspect ratio 4:3. It was recorded in regular dv with a Panasonic AG-DVX100B (it might be the model prior to this one but that should make too much of a difference, should it?). There is no progressive option on this camera and so therefore no need for pulldown, right?

I just don't get it. Maybe I check something I shouldn't in ffmpegX? I really have no clue? Any suggestions. I'm willing to try them as I have a July 5th deadline and have to create a DVD from the two hours of full resolution (720x480 interlaced) video I have.

Could it have anything to do with de-interlacing the video in FCP 5?

Still wondering...

4. Why aren't you using iDVD or DVD studio to author your FCP project to a DVD?