VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recently built a new PC and everything on it was working fine. However within the last week or so, my internal DVD burner (I/O Magic w. Lightscribe) stopped recognizing discs (blank, CD, DVD, install discs, anything) all together. The drive shows up under My Computer, but cannot be clicked. If you click it, the cursor turns into an hourglass for a minute or so and then back into a cursor. (Left or right clicking). Sometimes when you click it, it tells you that the drive cannot be accessed because of an I/O Device Error. Additionally, I have an external JVC burn station for our HDD Camcorder. That also functions as an external USB 2.0 DVD drive. That one will also no longer read any discs. However, that one you can click, or right-click. When I review the properties it says that the device is enabled and working properly.

So I tried to replace the I/O Magic drive with a Sony DRU-830A. That drive also reacts the same was as the original I/O Magic drive.

Thus far, I have tried a new IDE cable.
    I have gone through Miscrosoft support at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891894 and tried the fix there, with no luck.
    I've shut down, detached the drive, rebooted, shut down, reattached the drive.
    I've cleaned my registry.
    I a running Norton Antivirus 2002 which finds no viruses.

The only thing I haven't done is reinstall Windows which I would like to avoid.

Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What does Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager say about your drive?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The device is enabled and "working properly."

Bus Number 0, Target ID 0, LUN 0
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could try deleting your IDE channels from Device Manager, rebooting and letting XP re-acquire them.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm currently doing a repair installation of XP, but I'll try that after. I don't think I've done that yet.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Far too goddamn old now EddyH's Avatar
    Soul sucking suburbia! But a different part since I last logged on.
    Search Comp PM
    are the drivers for your motherboard and IDE / SATA controller up to date, working correctly and properly installed (if at all)?

the fact that the external drive is playing up also does suggest some bigger force at work however, as USB drives aren't subject to IDE channels or even any drivers more complex than one to chuck data down the cable and get it back as well
    -= She sez there's ants in the carpet, dirty little monsters! =-
    Back after a long time away, mainly because I now need to start making up vidcapped DVDRs for work and I haven't a clue where to start any more!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well after the repair install the whole thing just went screwy so I guess I am gonna have to wipe it and start again. I was hoping to avoid this endless loading of drivers, but no joy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That recognition problem appears more and more.
    Most of them could be eliminated by uninstalling tools like Alcohol and DaemonTools, aswell as uninstalling the ide drivers (updating too!) and deletng the upper/lower filters.
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just been out to repair one where device was seen by bios and pc , yet nothing happens when tray button is accessed , or clicked on in windows explorer .

Shut system down , opened case , swapped power connector , and its back to normal .

You see something new every day .

----

External dvd burners can draw upto 2amps ... enough to overload the usb , and cause major issues .

Make sure it use's its own power supply .

----

It is possible to have a system device appear to be working in system , yet device has a fault .

I once overloaded the usb2 port , windows said it had been reset , yet video recording was choppy via usb2 from then on ... 6 months later the video card died .

Apic , which controls power management had been compromised ... new motherboard time .
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just broke down and reinstalled Windows and now everything works fine. Strangest problem. I tried everything on the planet I could think of, and I posted in several different support forums. Found a few people with the same problem but no one could fix it. Ah well. Thanks for the ideas.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    sorry i missed the original post. most of the time this is the fix.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

take a note for next time as it may happen again after installing/uninstalling cd/dvd burning software.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote