VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I apologize in advance if this question is in any way ridiculous. I'm asking because I'm reinstalling my OS and would like to be prepared for "video" related tasks.

I know the codecs I install depend on the formats I use, but there must be a couple that are quite common? I have codecs currently installed, but I'm not sure which; it's been a long time.

That said, I would sometimes need to view and convert divx, xvid, dv, 264 and ts to mostly DVD.

TIA.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Some will disagree but ffdshow should take care of DECODING all those that you mentioned (not sure about the dv - you may need panasonic dv codec or something else) without any problems.

As for encoding, you'll need the encoders
    www.xvid.org
    www.x264.nl

EDIT: Use MPC
    You can get all ffdshow decoders and MPC and Haali Media Splitter in the CCCP pack.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nope. No codec pack. I don't know CCCP in particular, but codec packs in general is such a bad idea, I wouldn't let one within a mile of my computer. Why should I when there's just 3-4 I actually need?

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks guys for the quick replies. Very much appreciated.

Mats, you are the reason I asked the question. I had read a post where you suggested not installing anything you really don't need.

Anyways, just to confirm, divx, xvid, and 264 are handled by ffdshow, dv is handled by Panasonic DV and finally, ts is handled by Haali Media Splitter, right?

Also, is there a way I can tell which codec is being used when performing video editing tasks?

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No idea really, what Haali does to be honest! Just that some container formats need it.
    I think GSpot can show what filters/codecs are used to render a particular file.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ffdshow can handle DV and isn't Panasonic broken (claims to decode everything, not just DV)? Haali's splitter can handle mkv, ogm, ogg, avi, mp4, mov and ts. In most cases Haali's splitter and ffdshow will be enough.

That is directshow filters though, if talking codecs you are generally talking VfW. ffdshow does include VfW decoding/encoding for various formats, however I would still recommend Xvid, but I guess only if you plan on using it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks again for the info. Excellent forum.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You should not need the Panasonic DV codec for playback, only encoding through through VFW based software like older versions of virtualdub. And yes, sometimes it does step in and grad other FourCCs, although this is easily fixed if you have FFDShow installed.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Posted this comment a while ago

"Yes totally avoid codec packs (learnt the hard way), they may work now but will **** you over in the end."

Use what the top poster recommended, at least if your not happy with them they can easily be removed unlike those viruses disguised as codec packs.
    Quote Quote