VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've got a WMV HD movie file. It plays just fine in Windows Media Player, but if I try to skip past the half way mark I get an error and the video stops. I can skip with no problems any time before the half way mark, but anything after the video won't allow it.

The strange thing is the video will actually "play" past the half way mark. The movie will play to the end, just as long as I don't try and skip into the second half.

When I get the error from Windows Media player, the help button sends me to this website:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/webhelp/default.aspx?&mpver=11.0....nalid=80070057

I've tried this on other PC's and it's the same problem. The file does play and skip just fine in VLC player, but not Media Center.

I'd really like it to work with media player cause I want to be able to stream it to my Xbox360. Which by the way has the same problem, skips just fine until the half way mark. After that the movie just freezes on a black screen on the tv.

Any help would be great, thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Typically when files won't search/skip, it's because the index is corrupted. Take a look in the Tools section, and there used to be a few guides.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply.

I seperated the audio/video, then rejoined them again using windows media encoder programs. The file now works perfectly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    WME probably could have fixed the file without demuxing, just opening the file and resaving it. You can sometimes fix avi files the same way using VirtualDub.

Glad you got it to work.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote