VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I'm looking into buying a new HDTV: Panasonic's TH-42PZ700U.

I am wondering if this HDTV will display signal coming from my current DVD player. My DVD player plays both NTSC and PAL DVDs (without upscaling or converting).

I went to Panasonic's web site and downloaded the user guide, but I can't figure this out?

As a rule of thumb, can all HDTVs sold in the US display NTSC and PAL input?

Cheers!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Your tv will only display NTSC,your DVD player needs to output NTSC.
    What DVD player do you have?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's a Toshiba SD-220E, dezoned. It does not convert PAL to NTSC, however my current CRT SD TV does accept both PAL and NTSC.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I recommend an Oppo 981.It has HDMI,can play PAL,it's region-free and can output 1080p.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the tip, appreciate you taking the time! Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also all the new Phillips if you have dvd`s comming from Europe and you were watching in your crt tv it will do the same with a HDTV , the only thing that changes is the connections from your dvd to your tv , from RCA to : component , DVI , HDMI etc. . But never less you can still use your old cables .

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    True analog (composite or S-Video) "PAL" is seldom supported.

YPbPr analog component at 625/50 (576 active lines) is often supported in color for high definition digital TV sets but not the newer SD digital TV sets with only a 640x480 frame buffer. Some sets won't lock to 50Hz. Best to test the set with a PAL DVD player in the store before you buy.

For next generation HD/BD DVD players and some next generation HDTV sets, expect support for 1920x1080p at 23.976, 24 or 25 fps over HDMI. Sony is showing this at consumer trade shows. In the past, output from the player was telecined 29.97 fps or interlace 25 fps for PAL. Progressive 720x480 DVD players output at 720x480p/59.94 fps with 3:2 frame repeat pattern.

23.976 fps from the player eliminates the need for inverse telecine or process frame repeat removal at the TV. With 23.976 input, the HDTV can simply frame repeat linearly at 3x23.976 = 71.928 (aka "72Hz") or 4x23.976 = 95.904 (aka "96Hz"). This reduces flicker and smooths playback for film source.

High end PAL progressive DVD players and TV sets have had something similar for a few years. They can play 25 fps source with 4x frame repeat to "100Hz".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    From what I know, upscaled PAL to 720p playback on NTSC LCD TVs. Sharp and Samsung at least do it.

100 Hz is a early 90s technology for CRT screens. Those days, 100Hz are used only on hi-end LCD screens, as the base of the "motion drive" engine, used by Samsung and Philips (that creates the so called "Hollow" noise). I don't know any Plasma screens capable for 100Hz at this time.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys, very useful info.

Here's a picture of the input compatibility chart of the Panasonic ; seems like it takes only 60i or 60p signals...
    Too bad, as the picture quality is top-notch ; guess I'll be looking at a Philips, they often come with NTSC / PAL compatibility.

Thanks to you all

Quote Quote