VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When I burn DVD's, I'm finding they flicker. It must be slight because my wife can barely pick up on it - but to my eyes, it's very disturbing. I can only describe the flicker as a bit like a computer monitor if the Hertz setting is too low. Another way it could be described is it's like a strobe effect (without the screen actually going black - and it's very rapid).

It's not noticeable when most of the image is still, but when the image is from a camera panning or a large image onscreen is moving, it's jittery.

I'm using Videostudio to edit, saving as an mpeg, & burning with NeroVision. Videostudio chooses by default:

Media type: MPEG 2
    Video Data Rate: Variable 6000 kbps
    Frame type: Frame based
    Apply anti-flickering filter: Unticked
    Perform non-square pixel rendering - ticked

Thanks,
    Mark.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you starting out with DV type video? If so you should save it in that format after editing then use a dedicated DVD spec MPEG-2 encoder such as HCenc to do the actual encoding.

Also make sure you use a good DVD authoring program that does not attempt to re-encode. NERO is considered a very poor DVD authoring program. There are some freeware DVD authoring programs but one that is simple and easy-to-use is TMPGEnc DVD Author but that is a pay program.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you are starting out with DV camcorder footage or TV captures they are interlaced so should remain that way. You are allowing VideoStudio to deinterlace. Change the Frame based setting to lower field first for a DV transfer or upper field first for a TV capture.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Richard_G, Thanks.

In your opinion, do you think the specific problem I'm having is likely the interlacing setting?

Mark.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just trialing TMPGEnc but I have two questions:

It allows me select AVI's but not MPEG's. Why?
    Secondly, How do I select multiple files?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Almost certainly. Try re-encoding a short clip of footage leaving the interlacing, burn it to a DVDRW and check it. An interlace problem is only usually noticable with horizontal movement, a pan or someone/thing moving across the shot.

If you set the Project settings in Videostudio for PAL DVD, it should select the correct interlace settings anyway, but may ot have got it right.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Richard_G

I did as you said & it worked. Thanks very much!

Mark.
    Quote Quote