VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So, the title basically says it all.

The videos Im trying to convert are around 180 MB and the projected file size are 700+ MB.

Im trying to convert the avis to vcd-compliant mpgs.

The videos are all interlaced and were encoded with the XVID codec.

Any help is appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What's the problem?
    VCD mpg is ~10 MB/minute.
    A std CD-R can hold close to 800 MB mpg when authored as VCD.
    AVI file size is irrelevant.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think I need to elaborate more on my problem.

I have 3 avi files, each are about 180MB. Im trying to burn all three into one vcd.

Ive done this before with videos of the same file size and theyre always projected to come out at about 240+ MB each.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Again: Source file size is irrelevant when it comes to encoding them for VCD. The only parameter to look at is time. A VCD can hold 80 minutes. And it doesn't matter if the source file is a DV video of 16 GB, or a low bitrate DivX at 500 MB.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So, what youre saying is if the combined file size of the 3 mpgs exceed 2 gigabytes, I can still burn them all on one cd-r as a vcd?

Each avi is around 23 minutes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Timex
    So, what youre saying is if the combined file size of the 3 mpgs exceed 2 gigabytes, I can still burn them all on one cd-r as a vcd?
    No, I'm saying that if the combined play time of your source files is less than 80 minutes, they can be encoded as VCD mpg and authored as VCD.
    Originally Posted by Timex
    Each avi is around 23 minutes.
    If you have 3 AVIs of 23 minutes each, they can be encoded to VCD mpg and authored to one disk. When encoded using the VCD specs, they should come out at 230 MB each.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  7. What he's saying is: video correctly converted to VCD MPEG1 has a fixed bitrate where 80 minutes will fit on one CD. If your 69 minutes of video is coming out at 2 GB something went wrong with the conversion.

In all likelyhood your sources have variable bitrate audio which usually confuses TMPGEnc. You should use a program like Audacity to extract the audio tracks and save them as uncompressed WAV. Then import those WAV files into TMPGEnc.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used Vdubmod to extract the audio to wav and used that as the audio source and it worked.

Thanks for all your help.
    Quote Quote