VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't know what was Booktype, and that we could change it. Don't you think that we could try to proctect a DVD with the PIONEER DVR-S201 http://www.arsenproductions.de/knowledgebase/kb_eq_pioneer_dvd.htm , and them change its booktype do DVD-Rom?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Oh boy... here we go again

You can only change the booktype once on dvd+r's to read as DVD-ROM, so a player see's it as a pressed dvd and not a recordable.

And booktype has nothing to do with "protecting' a disc, as i'm assuming you are talking about trying to keep someone from copying it.... yeah... that work's real good for hollywood

Carry on
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you know if there is any "for windows" soft/program for the PIONEER DVR-S201? Dou you know if we could also add RCE ( Region Code Enchanced(Enhacement)) to a DVD-r with the PIONEER DVR-S201?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can set the region of the DVD you create to any available region when you author it. Most of mine are set to 'Region Free'. That's done in your Authoring program and shouldn't have anything to do with the writer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Unless I'm mistaken, the Pioneer DVR-S201 is the 2x DVD-R (Authoring) burner c.2001.

This drive reads DVD-ROMs (pressed) and DVD-R (A)--both 3.95 & 4.37 GB. That's all I know it reads for sure. Might be possible to read DVD-R (G)--the most common recordable, unlikely to read DVD-RW, VERY UNLIKELY to read DVD+R or DVD+RW. DOES NOT read DVD-RAM of any kind.

Writes only DVD-R (A)--both sizes (3.95 & 4.37GB). 1x or 2x. That's it.

RCE is an Authoring-domain device. Has nothing to do with the burner, all to do with the capabilities of the authoring app (and maybe mastering plant).

RCE is also just a big pain in the butt for everyone involved, except the jerks who though it up and are making some licensing $$$ out of the deal. (There are more than a few other items that fall into this category: M*********n, A*****s, CSS, HDCP, DRM, rootkits, etc)

Maestro was one such Windows app that could work with this burner. I'm pretty sure Scenarist can too.
    Actually, as it's an older drive, it should be able to be recognized by a lot of authoring apps.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by olyteddy
    You can set the region of the DVD you create to any available region when you author it. Most of mine are set to 'Region Free'. That's done in your Authoring program and shouldn't have anything to do with the writer.
    The lead-in information on a DVD-R always contains a Region Code Mask of zero - this is "hard-wired". The value you can change, is contained in the VMG ( ie. in the IFO files ) and will be written to a DVD-R with software. This means there is a conflict between the lead-in and the VMG information which may cause issues on some players.
    http://dvdafteredit.com/node/1317#comment-1538[/quote]
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you know why the PIONEER DVR-S201 can make DDP, even with Macrovision, but can't do with CSS encrypted? I have asked them directly: https://www3.pioneer.co.jp/support/latin.html, but I haved had any answer yet.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You're basically asking a stupid question, so they're probably having a hard time coming up with an answer.

How would you answer: "Why do humans have three eyes?"

That's probably the problem they're having.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am sorry, I didn't understand.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    LS's sarcasm aside, we're amazed that someone could be asking about topics that clearly ought to fall into the "pro" category, but the questions are being asked in such a way that one is completely aware that you are a rank newbie and haven't even done your homework (e.g. DVD media types, burning vs. mastering/pressing).

Instead of just insulting you (or maybe in addition to ), I'll go into teacher mode and give you a few tips:

1. This burner you've got (if I'm correct about the model #) is very good for what it does. But these days, that's very little. Can't do other DVD media types, can't do DL, can't go fast at all.

2. Unless you're doing lots of big corporate stuff, or Hollywood titles, you probably don't need to go the pressing route. Burning is much cheaper for smaller quantities. But this forgoes certain features...

3. Most of those features are pertaining to Copy Protection. As anybody on this board will tell you, CP isn't worth a hill of beans in the long run, so don't count the lack of it as a loss.

4. What pressing does give you is better QC, assured media compatibility, and "legitemacy".

Pressing plants are expanding the list of what they'll take as masters, but it's still a short list:
    DLT (obviously, with DDP/CMF and mastering image files)
    DVD-R (A) with DDP/CMF and mastering image files
    DVD-R (A) as standard disc image
    DVD-R (G) (single or double layer)
    possibly DVD-RW, but not likely.

They don't take RAM discs, or +R/RW.

When you author a disc for PRESSING, and you want to add CP, there are flags that you can add: Copy control, Macrovision, and CSS. These are just flags. Any disc can hold them. To actually have CSS encryption added (not counting these new "downloadable" discs), the only way is to get them pressed--and here the CSS encryption is added at the pressing plant, directly to the glass master. It never exists that way on any of YOUR discs.

So you can add MV, but not CSS on burned discs right? Nope!
    You will be in violation of MV's licensing requirements, which state that MV is only allowed to be distributed on a disc that is CSS encrypted. Yes, you can physically add it, but you'll get in deep do-do if you distribute those discs (which was the whole point originally).

The "CSS" flag is no good without the actual CSS encrypting the data as well. And it would probably be very confusing to a lot of players--Don't do this.

So, for burning (but not pressing), the only thing you could add is the simple Copy Control flag (Copyable vs. Copy Once vs. Copy Never), which is like SCMS and is easily overlooked by just about everyone. Basically worthless.

If you REALLY are going to be doing PRESSING, a DLT drive would probably be more helpful for you. It can support DL size discs (where a DVD-R(A) can't). And this is what pressing plants are most used to working with.

No matter what, you should be talking to your pressing plant of choice and finding out specifically what THEY expect and working within their guidelines. Ahead of time/at the start of your project.

[/teach mode]

Good luck...

also, I STRONGLY recommend that you get yourself a copy of DVD Demystified and read it from cover to cover. At least 3 TIMES!

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank's a lot.
    Quote Quote