VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I went to capture some footage from my Panasonic PV-GS12 DV camcorder this morning, and noticed that when I go into Pinnacle Studio or Movie Maker, it says there is no camera detected. I checked behind the PC and noticed that the Firewire cable was not even plugged into the port. I plugged it in and still, nothing happened. I turned the camera on and off, I unplugged and plugged the cable back into the camera, as well as to the computer, but it just won't detect it. I shut down the computer and took the cover off. I removed the Firewire port and moved it to another slot. When I turned the computer back on, it redetected the port and found the drivers successfully. It shows up in Device Manager with no exclamations or anything. This is the first time I've had this problem, so I'm sure what it is. The firewire cable looks to be in great condition, and it's less than a year old. What might be the problem?

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You are doing all the right steps.

Next would be try the camera and cable on another machine or try another cable.

Or try a different camcorder with that machine and that cable.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Are you in record mode instead of playback/VCR mode on the camera?
    Quote Quote  
  4. When was the last time it worked successfully and, since then, have you installed any software or hardware?
    John Miller
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by edDV
    You are doing all the right steps.

Next would be try the camera and cable on another machine or try another cable.

Or try a different camcorder with that machine and that cable.
    I don't have any computers with firewire ports except this one, and I don't have any other cables. I guess I'll have to get one.

Originally Posted by hech54
    Are you in record mode instead of playback/VCR mode on the camera?
    Yes, that was one of the first things I checked.

Originally Posted by JohnnyMalaria
    When was the last time it worked successfully and, since then, have you installed any software or hardware?
    The last time it worked was a few days ago, during a routine upload of the footage on my tape. I don't believe I have changed any settings or installed any software since then.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Did you try to use USB to transfer still pictures?
    Quote Quote  
  7. On my Canon, the camcorder must be in record mode for my computer to recognize teh camcorder. Once that happens I need to switch it to play mode to download.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by handyguy
    Did you try to use USB to transfer still pictures?
    I did try USB. Not to transfer still pictures, but to see if it would be detected. It showed up as a webcam (like it should), and I was able to play the footage and record in Movie Maker.

Originally Posted by dfluke
    On my Canon, the camcorder must be in record mode for my computer to recognize teh camcorder. Once that happens I need to switch it to play mode to download.
    I figured this would be the magic answer. Not that I ever had to do this before, but it just seemed like it would fix the problem. It didn't, either.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Well, you can also search the net for 'Panasonic PV-GS12' & USB or FW, there are other people working on it.
    Quote Quote