VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab Video Downloader and rip Netflix video! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I have a 480*204 video. So it's a 2.35:1 ratio. I'd like to encode it to DVD.

What is better, resize and add huge black bars and encode to 4:3 or it's better for average quality to encode it to 16:9 anamorphic and let the tv/dvd add black bars (the video will be watched on a regular 4:3 TV) ?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would imagine that if you make a 4:3 letterboxed DVD that the quality will look better this way on a 4:3 TV but will suffer on a 16x9 WS TV.

If you make a 16x9 anamorphic widescreen DVD then the quality will be better for a 16x9 WS TV but on a 4:3 TV may not look as good as if you made it 4:3 letterboxed BUT this difference will be very slight.

So I would make it 16x9 anamorphic widescreen since you may want to watch it in the future on such a TV.

Use FitCD to get your resize values and AviSynth script (if you use AviSynth).

Here is my FitCD mini-guide: CLICK HERE

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks. I will do that
    Quote Quote  
  4. I would let the bitrate be your guide. If you're forced to use a low bitrate go with letterboxed 4:3. If you can use high enough a bitrate go with anamorphic.

Turning on the deblocking filters in the Divx or Xvid decoder will help.
    Quote Quote