VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

Recently purchased toast titanium 7 for the mac and have tried to convert an avi file into a dvd that i could watch on my home dvd player. i clicked the video tab and dragged and dropped the file, it plays off the cd on my computer and on other pc computers but not on the home dvd player...any thoughts?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The most common problem with burned DVDs is the media used. Which brand and type are you using?

You might also take a look at 'WHAT IS' DVD to the upper left on this page to see the DVD specifications and format. Compare your DVD with those specifications. Being able to play on a computer is not usually a good indication whether the files are DVD compliant as a computer can play about anything.

And since this is a Mac question, it would likely be better answered in our Mac Forum. Moving You.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    it was memorex dvd-rw dvd's
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Both Memorex and RWs may be problematic with some players. I would try a different brand. Memorex may be made by any of a dozen manufacturers. Or just try a regular disc, not a RW. This is assuming the DVD format is correct.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    just to clarify -

i clicked the video tab and on the left chose DVD-Video, i dragged the avi file and clicked the red button ... are there any other settings i should have adjusted?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a proper video_TS folder with VOB files on the DVD you burned? If not, then that could explain why it's playable on the computer, but not on a standalone player.

Other reasons: Some players/drives are quite fussy about the media they'll accept, as the other posters noted. That's why trying different media is often a good thing to attempt. And particularly, as stated earlier, RW media tends to have the lowest compatibility, so switching to a straight -R or +R disc may solve your problem immediately.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by giants177
    just to clarify - clicked the video tab and on the left chose DVD-Video, i dragged the avi file and clicked the red button ... are there any other settings i should have adjusted?
    No, just those steps should create a valid DVD. If Apple DVD Player plays it correctly, then the files and structure are okay.
    Take redwudz's advice: Media can be problematic on some players. Not all standalone players like DVD-RW discs. Not all standalone players like certain brands of discs, sometimes just a bad batch can be it. (It is the quality of the chemical dye that counts, iirc.) No amount of software tweaking can fix bad media.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are a lot of options in Toast 7 when encoding. You can check a box for auto-play.
    If I use VLC to play back my discs that helps a lot.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I suggest avoiding RWs (and Memorex for that matter). My
    consumer DVD recorder likes 'em, but our Macs throw a
    fit and won't read 'em. Just the reverse of what other are
    seeing.
    Al Bloom
    Quote Quote