VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a constant problem when I create a DVD, without fail it always skips every couple minutes. Even the best of my disks will still skip bad about an hour in. I'd like to go over my step by step process with the hopes that somebody can point out a mistake.

1. First I've been converting the video files using mencoder to xvid video and mp3lame audio. My hope here is that any crazy or bad format jobs will be weeded out.

2. After that I either use ConvertxtoDVD or DVD Flick to create the DVD video folder. When I use ConvertX I have to compile the files separately. DVD Flick spits out a disc image for me which is what I'm looking for. I've been using ConvertX on the high (slow) encoding settings for quality and it creates a chapter every 5 mins.

3. If I didn't get a disc image out of the converter I use Nero7 to sort the files onto a disc image then burn. With DVD Flick I just skip the sorting step. I'm not sure what speed I should burn at. I've been using 16x but after experimenting with slower speeds I don't really see a difference.

I'd really appreciate any help you can give me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by aeuzent
    without fail it always skips every couple minutes. Even the best of my disks will still skip bad about an hour in.
    That can be a sign of bad/low quality media. Click here for a site that explains media quality.

1. First I've been converting the video files using mencoder to xvid video and mp3lame audio. My hope here is that any crazy or bad format jobs will be weeded out.
    Also you are degrading video quality by re-encoding your existing avi with mencoder and then converting that xvid to dvd.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Really are in a pickle there .

First , drop the use of mencoder , and while were at it , the rest as well ... what a mess ... now

Yes ... mp3lame audio , some fun with that one , avoid it

Super should beable to convert almost anything you have , to mpeg2 with ac3 , its capable of breaking those clips that refuse to be converted as well .

Good at nstc to pal conversion and back , done in similar method as used by ulead video studio .

Ok , thats file > mpeg2

There are a few other programs worth while , but stick with only a few and get to know them well .

----

Batchdemux from dvdauthorgui website or even good old vobedit can demux mpeg2 into seperate streams (m2v video / ac3 audio)

Ok , thats got the thing seperated .

----

Visualsubsync if you want to go nutts with subtitles ... we'll leave that there for now .
    Virtualmod can help locate chapter points ... I made a guide on how thats done in guides section .

----

Dvdauthorgui for the basic authoring of the dvd to folder .

----

Dvdshrink , in case title exceeds 4.3 gig (safe maximum for sl dvd)

----

A dvd playback program to confirm all is well before thinking of burning it .

----

Pgcedit ... in case nav command cause's problem with navigation ... quick to fix

----

Imgburn to burn authored content to dvd .

----

Rules : dvd-r (either ty or verbatims) , half the max burn speed (safe is 4x) , no more than 4.3gig to sl dvd .

Stay the blazes away from those that use sticky labels .

----

Tada ... done ... go have a coffee and call me when the pizza's ready and shows about to start .

One app you might want to include is mpeg streamclip from http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-win.html

Supported input formats:

MPEG, VOB, PS, M2P, MOD, VRO , DAT, MOV, DV, AVI, MP4, TS, M2T, MMV, REC, VID, AUD, AVR, VDR, PVR, TP0, M2V, M1V, MPV, AIFF, M1A, MP2, MPA, AC3, ...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'd really appreciate any help you can give me.
    Even without knowing what the original source(s) of your video...I'd have to agree with the rest...your workflow is a complete mess.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The set-up you describe BJS seems to be exactally what I'm looking for. I've had a feeling for a long time that I had been skipping alot of steps and taking the easy way out and alot of the guide makes sense to me.

I've just got one tiny problem. I've never been able to make Super work for me. Every time I try to create a file I get back a generic Microsoft like error message giving me a list of 5 or 6 things that could be wrong.

I was wondering if you could explain the step using Super in a little more detail or possibly give another tool capible of converting AVI to MPEG2.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you have ConvertXtoDVD, then don't bother wasting time with SUPER. Convert to DVD on your HDD. Don't burn. Test. Watch it from your HDD. If it skips then your problem is the source, and no conversion program will fix it. If it doesn't skip, burn it to DVD using imgburn. Test it again. If the burn skips then the problem is media (either quality of compatibility) or your burner.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote