VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I got this AVI file with XVID and tried to cut it with Virtualdub. I use Shift-arrow to move b/w key frames. However, the displayed key frame is off. If I start to play after moving to the next key frame, it immediately jump to some where else. I used Save as AVI w/ direct stream copying, hoping remuxing would fix it. No, still the same.

Any way to fix this file?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. It's because of the B-Frames. Figure out where to cut by choosing the time where the cut is to be made, and not the picture of the frame. Get the time by playing the AVI.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Use MPEG4 Modifier to remux with packed bitstream.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by jagabo
    Use MPEG4 Modifier to remux with packed bitstream.
    I've heard somewhere the some hardware DVD player can't handle packet bitstream. Is that a problem?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yes, some Divx/DVD players aren't happy with packed bitstream. You can always remux without it again after you've finished your editing.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not true at all. All DivX players love packed bitstream since that is what DivX uses. The problem is packed bitstream together with more than one consecutive bframe, since only the first gets packed (only the first needs to be to solve the VfW problem mentioned above). Still most players received firmware updates which solved the problem. You could also check out avidemux for editing.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yeah, my first player didn't like XviDs with packed bitstream and 2 B-Frames. It stuttered. But I never had any trouble cutting AVIs using the method I suggested earlier.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by celtic_druid
    Not true at all. All DivX players love packed bitstream since that is what DivX uses. The problem is packed bitstream together with more than one consecutive bframe, since only the first gets packed (only the first needs to be to solve the VfW problem mentioned above). Still most players received firmware updates which solved the problem.
    So what you're saying is some players don't like packed bitstream?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well no. I am saying that all DivX certified players like packed bitstream. Even those that aren't certified should have no problems with packed bitstream.

What I am saying is that some players (mostly MTK based players with out of date firmwares) can't handle multiple consecutive bframes together with packed bistream.

So there are two conditions that need to be met.
    1) Packed bistream.
    2) More than 1 consecutive bframe.

1 bframe + packed bistream should be fine. Same goes for 2+ bframes that aren't packed.

To claim that it is just packed bitstream is wrong. Saying that such players can't handle more than 1 bframe would be the same thing.

Safest in terms of compatibility is packed bistream together with 1 bframe or just use a HT profile when encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jagabo
    This would also mean different cut point compared to I (?) key frames, right? You would be able to set end cut point at non-key frame, vs. start at non-key frame.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by cheerful
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    This would also mean different cut point compared to I (?) key frames, right? You would be able to set end cut point at non-key frame, vs. start at non-key frame.
    Keyframes will be in the same place as the original file but VirtualDub will be able to seek them properly. Any piece of the original file you keep must start on a keyframe; they can end on any frame.
    Quote Quote  
  12. This was my original posts regarding cut points

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic324523.html

We now have

P-P-P-P-P-B-P-P-P-P-P-B-P-P-P-P-P-B

So it should now be possible cut it to, for example, by removing the 1st 3 P frames.

P-P-B-P-P-B-P-P-B
    Quote Quote