VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I recently purchased a Lite-On LH-20A1S, it turned out to be a piece of garbage when it comes to writing dvd's. I've upgrading the firmware, using different media, different speeds, it consistently produces bad burns. I only purchased this drive because it was the only SATA dvd burner available at the time I was upgrading the components in my computer.

I usually purchase Pioneer dvd burners and was considering purchasing this 18x SATA burner
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827129009

But the reviews are showing similar problems that the Lite-On I currently have is exhibiting.

Can someone suggest a good SATA dvd burner? Or should I just go back to IDE?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Plextor makes good burners. I have 2 and i'm happy with them.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yo can also get a regular IDE DVD burner and use a SATA to IDE adapater. My BenQ drive is Parallel ATA but Im using it though SATA thanks to one of these adapters.

I do not recall the brand of the adapter but it uses a very good Silicon Image chipset.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Pioneer 212D is the serial ata version of the 112D. Both good units.
    I stay away from SATA burners for two reasons. One, I use SATA hard drives and only have so many ports. Two, I don't think a SATA burner adds anything to the party. The faster transfer rate in SATA is not utilized in the burning process. It's has no better than IDE. I have found that the speed of the HD, mine at 7200, is the true limiter in a system and that 7200 is all you need. Also, bus speed is very important, mine 800. I believe that SATA burners are more flash that value and that is why you see so few of them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't really want to go back to IDE :\

I guess I'll just purchase an IDE dvd burner. I haven't heard a lot of good things about burners being connected through SATA.
    Quote Quote