Originally Posted by Nelson37
CVD is NOT "perfectly playable on most standalone players". One-half D1, with 48k audio, on a DVD, is - but that is not a CVD.
Actually, it is.
I can't prove it with any stats (I doubt there are any available), however when I did compatibility tests personally, I always included CVD sample discs, and I tested out probably couple hundred different models in past years.
There was not even one standalone player unable to play *properly authored* CVD discs, and that goes for both standard 44.1 and non-standard 48 kHz sound.
Granted, I don't do it for couple of years anymore, but I am certain the newer standalone models, released since then, must be even more 'forgiveable' for slightly non-standard discs (ie CVD with 48k sound) than they were in the past, don't you think so?

For a brief period of time I used to use CVD format for my own discs (in the begining of DVD-Rs, when it wasn't worth burning short home videos on a DVD-R disc at $20, $10, or even $5 a piece - specially when multiple copies were needed). Yes, I heard some compatibility issue complaints, but such 'negative feedback' happened maybe thrice, while we distributed probably few thousands of different CVD CD-Rs in a church-community group alone, not to mention other groups I used to support or been involved with.
On the side note: today I regret 'switching back' to SVCD format at that time, since till today it is troublesome for most of people to compile/burn those old SVCDs on DVDRs...

/edit/
actually there was ONE very expensive piece of sony crap that I tested and it didn't play CVD discs, but that model didn't play *any* CD-R discs (oddly it did play CD-RWs AFAIR, and I vaguely recall reading about some another player with same issue), yet again: not that it was any CVD-format related issue.