VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I posted the following message to the eright Super forum TWICE and it was deleted both times. Apparently having huge bugs in your software pointed out is not allowed by the developer. That's fine, I'll just make sure to repost this far and wide across other forums not controlled by the developer of buggy software.

I downloaded Super off of the eright web page.

I then tried to use it to convert flv to mp4

It quit (failed to completely convert) on the first file, leaving behind a 48 mb partial conversion file.

Then it hung on the second file and endlessly ate up my disk space in chunks of 3mb at a time (as fast as I could hit the refresh button, that's how much disk space I was losing). The conversion file was over 640MB in toto (showing in super) but nearly 2 GB of disk space had been eaten up and was continuing when I cancelled the conversion. CLosed Super. Disk space continued to disappear in 3 to 4 MB chunks until I was down to my last 95 MB of space (on a 34 GB drive). Clearly something was still running even though I had shut the program down completely.

I then deleted both of the conversion files left behind by Super. I uninstalled Super. My free space returned to normal. However, AVG shows that even after uninstall, Super left behind modified versions of kernel32.dll, user32.dll, and ntoskrnl.exe.

Good, well-designed software doesn't modify or change important system files like that. It especially doesn't fail to restore the system to the way it was before it was installed after it's been uninstalled.

This is a huge bug that the developer clearly intends to ignore or he or she wouldn't have deleted my posting about it just a few hours ago.

Watch out for any more software coming out of this developer's garage. I will recommend AGAINST Super and anything else this guy is churning out since he clearly prunes his forum to keep people ignorant of huge flaws in his software rather than addressing the issue.

It's one thing for software, especially freeware, not to work. It's quite another for the developer to try to hide that fact from unsuspecting users. Since he kept deleting the problem report off of his forum I can only conclude that that is what he is doing.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what version ?

the version i have is mar 14, i think, and it has never given me any trouble. on my xp system.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It was the latest version, downloaded twice directly from the main website on June 15 and 16. I don't know what it was doing or why, but I had to totally uninstall it to get it to quit.

It's freeware, I don't usually go to the extent of complaining when freeware doesn't work. However, the thing that REALLY pisses me off is that it changed important windows files (see original message) and didn't put them back the way it found them. I used to write installation/uninstallation software in the bad old days when I was a software engineer and I would rather have cut off my left arm than leave somebody's system changed after an uninstall.

Sojourner
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    SUPER is not the only game in town, it is really a fancy front-end for mencoder and ffmpeg. Try WinFF, there is a new version out today and it will pretty much handle anything that SUPER will, and it has a very light footprint on your system. Just a suggestion, SUPER seems to be a real love/hate piece of software.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    try ' total uninstall ' IF you can find it.. I have the original version and love it.

you run the program and it scans your system before and after the NEW program is installed and checks for all registry changes and file changes, it catches 99% of everything.

when you do the uninstall it reverts all registry changes and will give you a list of want could not be deleted or replaced, i do a cut and paste to notepad, and use the list to fix any problems if i'm trying to avoid a system restore
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    GMaq

SUPER seems to be a real love/hate piece of software
    While super is free and constantly under development ... it dose indeed work for the majority of users without major , or no issue's .

The occassional release of buggy versions dose happen , but they are quick at rectifying the faults .

The only pain here , is you have to download the entire program again , rather than a simple patch ... something they should have considered in earlier development , which would have cut down on bandwidth uploads from servers .

The problem is not all pc's are equal , and this includes the level of patch's installed for the current os ... there is much more under the pc cover to consider , before aiming problems at any one program .

As for the op : ZenSojourner

A: Pc specs dont indicate sp2 installed for xp
    B: Update video drivers
    C: Super dose not make changes to sensitive system files ... where did you download super from .

Although , it is possible for the super development team to have accidentally released an infected installer package ... it would be highly unlikely .

Avg should have caught the problem during the installation of super , if indeed the installer was infected in the first place ... best to always update avg before hand , then run avg on any downloaded file ... before you go and open it .

Users also have a bad habit of not indicating other downloading tools ... such as kazza , bit torrent downloaders running on their pc ... and this is where many infections usually come from .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @Bjs,
    Don't get me wrong I've had SUPER on some machines with no issues, I had it on another with MPEG Streamclip installed and got regular BSOD's until I uninstalled SUPER, my only point was that since the OP is having issues why not try an alternative ffmpeg GUI. The love/hate comment was just an overview of the comments about it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i like super and I have never had any problems, one user did document, the hijacking of some functions ? / files. and posted it here in another thread.

NONE of my video progams, coders or players, are auto run, none are setting in the background or system tray

if any of them setup that way in the registry, I change it. with startup control

the same thing for my music and NERO

this helps avoid complications

I run what i want when i want, not automaticaly

this goes for DL programs, and other things

the only add-ons running full time are zone alarm, avg, and spybot S&D,
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A 34gb drive is not enormous in this day and age. Just how much free space did you start with?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dude...don't keep working on a 34GB hard drive and expect NOT to run into problems with VIDEO conversion/editing. That's video 101. Keep in mind that during some conversions, the video is expanded back to an 'original' AVI format (which can be mungo, super, gigantic huge) and then get squished back to the desired format. I FREQUENTLY run temp files/directories for full movies/DVDs etc that are in the 3GB to 4GB range....so first things first...get a NEW HD...at least 300Gb. You'll never know how you got along without it once it's in.

Second, SUPER doesn't touch ANY system files....period. The specific files you mentioned are LOCKED even in Safe Mode and couldn't possibly have been altered during a normal run of the app. No...sounds like you got something nasty in you 'puter that made some changes, likely during a reboot after an "install" of your most-likely-bogus super installation package. Where DID you get that from??? That's actually not even germaine....you probably could have gotten a rogue trojan/spyware/virus etc at any point and it simply coincided with the Super install. In any case....you really can't put the blame of eRight for that...it's just not possible (I'm a LONG time user with no such issues EVER).

As for their "deletion" of your posts...if some guy showed up on my site and started making unfounded, wild accusations about system files my product had modified that, in reality, CAN'T be altered except by an O/S manufacturer update or a sly hacker and complained that his 34GB hard drive was being gobbled up by temp files during a VIDEO conversion...I would be greatly tested NOT to press Del and get on with the rest of my day. (Though I wouldn't....it IS afterall a bit sketchy not to at least be a bit helpful and informative when you're trying to promote your own software...even if the end users' complaints are a bit off topic)

I guess my final word on the subject would be...this experience has likely soured you on the product entirely and it's really not the only game in town...just let it go! LOL...move along. There's a lot of GREAT alternatives out there...go try a few and see which one floats your boat. You might get stuck paying 20-30 bucks to get one you REALLY can't live without (sorry...but I'm just too cheap for that...SUPER is FREE and that's SUPER! LOL).
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ZenSojourner
    Then it hung on the second file and endlessly ate up my disk space in chunks of 3mb at a time (as fast as I could hit the refresh button, that's how much disk space I was losing). The conversion file was over 640MB in toto (showing in super) but nearly 2 GB of disk space had been eaten up and was continuing when I cancelled the conversion. CLosed Super. Disk space continued to disappear in 3 to 4 MB chunks until I was down to my last 95 MB of space (on a 34 GB drive). Clearly something was still running even though I had shut the program down completely.
    Did SUPER used FFmpeg for that conversion?

It's my experience that FFmpeg occasionally hangs and keeps on writing endlessly to disk. You say even after exit SUPER, writing was going on. I have the same experience and the only way to stop it is to call up the Windows taks manager, search for FFmpeg.exe and cancel the process.

I had this also when I tried to demux (FFmpeg -copy) certain "weird" encoded DivX avi's.

Chris
    Quote Quote