VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My PPC and Universal versions of FCP 4 included the QuictimeMPEG2 component. It was actually named something like for Quicktime 6.

I've since upgraded to FCP 5 and had reason to try to view a m2v video and Quicktime couldn't do it. Is the mpeg2 componant no longer part of FCP?

I was able to reinstall from my previous backup and view the file, but I'm now wondering if there is a Quicktime 7 version? Does Apple expect us to spend an extra $20 for this functionality after laying out big bucks for Final Cut Pro Suite?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yep,
    That's been Apple's habit and policy for as long as I can remember. Every major (version #) upgrade to QT requires more $$ for both corresponding QTPro and MPEG2components (and other things).
    Has greatly delayed my implementation of upgrades a number of times!
    That's probably also one main reason why QTAlternative got so popular.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. So the current version of Final Cut Suite doesn't install a version at all?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FCP includes the MPEG2 component but it may be (not positive about this) that it's use is limited to the FCP suite. In other words: It is possible that you might not see the funtionality in other apps (as you would if you had the "regular" MPEG2 component).
    Quote Quote  
  5. I couldn't find any in the Quicktime plug-in folder. So perhaps FCP has it built into the app itself.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1. Apple's QT plugins are in /System/Library/QuickTime/
    while third party plugins are in /Library/QuickTime/ .

2. FCP should come with Compressor, and Compressor should include the MPEG2 component.

3. Version 6.4 is current for PPC.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!