VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. To make a long story short, I need to buy a new DVD Recorder to set up at a friends house to record a show that will be on 4 or 5 times a week (because the channel they get I don't get and can't get on my service provider).

I can't set up my excellent JVC DRM-100S there because I use it too much to set it up someplace that would only record 1 hour show 4 - 5 times a week.

I tried searching for another JVC, but I can't find one anywhere. I wish I would have got that deal on eCost, but it appears I am too late. I checked and they don't have it on the site anymore. I did finally find a site that had it, but it was too much (over $50 than what I paid for mine a year or two ago).

Since I can't get my hands on a JVC, is there another brand that is just as excellent? As I said before, I'll only be recording a 1 hour show 4 - 5 times a week, so I'm not looking for a DVD Recorder that I would want to use nearly 9 hours a day (like I do my JVC).

I tried searching the board, and from what I understand Pioneer is a good brand. Is there a certain model that stands above the rest? Or should I go with a different brand?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Some inflated prices, some reasonable, but they are in stock:

http://www.lowestpricemart.com/catalog/item/3243344/2771906.htm
    http://www.zalmar.com/detail-,Video,-,DVD%20Players,-DR_M100S.htm
    http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=601758
    http://www.bwayphoto.com/product.asp?id=jvdrm100s&l=more

But beware, I don't know about the reputation of these dealers.

Also, have you thought about using a PVR? And there are some JVC DVD/VHS combo units around, but don't know if the recording quality is as good on those.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by piano632
    Some inflated prices, some reasonable, but they are in stock:

http://www.lowestpricemart.com/catalog/item/3243344/2771906.htm
    http://www.zalmar.com/detail-,Video,-,DVD%20Players,-DR_M100S.htm
    http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=601758
    http://www.bwayphoto.com/product.asp?id=jvdrm100s&l=more

But beware, I don't know about the reputation of these dealers.

Also, have you thought about using a PVR? And there are some JVC DVD/VHS combo units around, but don't know if the recording quality is as good on those.
    Thanks for the links! I'm like the lowestpricemart.com one! Much cheaper than the other one I found that I thought was way to much.

Haven't though about PVR though. Might be a last resort if I don't find a good DVD Recorder (that isn't too expensive).

EDIT: Well, I was liking the lowestpricemart.com, but I googled it and found this topic talking about them: http://www.resellerratings.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-123278.html, guess I won't be buying from there.

EDIT (again): bwayphoto.com also looked good, but googled that. http://forums.digitaltrends.com/showthread.php?t=11081

It's nice to see that those two fraud sites are "Hacker Safe" today.

If I don't find a good DVD Recorder I might just go with the ecrater.com one. It appears that they are a good site. Is the same price I saw on another site, but at least they have free shipping. Other site wanted $20 or $30 for shipping.

I guess ecrater.com is a site sort of like Ebay, because it says that the seller is "goodsforme", who has only 92% positive feedback. Appearantly, the last person that bought from this person bought a cheap item that the seller didn't even have. Not sure if I want to trust him though.

And Zalmar.com is just too much money for me.

But thanks for the help anyways piano632. I appreciate you trying.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I too am also curious if there is another DVD recorder that users on here would recommend that is comparable to the DRM-100S. I've been searching for a JVC DRM-100S, but when there is a site that has one they are really expensive.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Tekken
    I too am also curious if there is another DVD recorder that users on here would recommend that is comparable to the DRM-100S. I've been searching for a JVC DRM-100S, but when there is a site that has one they are really expensive.
    Yes, but make sure you don't go with a cheap site. Be sure to Google the site first, there are a lot of fraud sites out there. I nearly bought from one untill I Googled it.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by J C
    Since I can't get my hands on a JVC, is there another brand that is just as excellent? As I said before, I'll only be recording a 1 hour show 4 - 5 times a week, so I'm not looking for a DVD Recorder that I would want to use nearly 9 hours a day (like I do my JVC).

I tried searching the board, and from what I understand Pioneer is a good brand. Is there a certain model that stands above the rest? Or should I go with a different brand?
    Pioneer has been one of the two or three best brands -- far superior to the junk brands they've been selling at Walmart or Best Buy. A while back, they announced they were getting out of the DVDR biz, due to poor sales, and there was speculation that any future Pioneer models would be rebadged models actually made by another company. (If there is any evidence that this has actually happened, I haven't seen it yet, and would welcome this being brought to my attention.) Apparently to the contrary, some new models -- newer than the 640, at least -- have appeared in the Japanese and European markets, and even lately in Canada. There are some different schools of thought as to why the U.S. Market is conspicuous here by its absence. (There are lengthy threads about this over on AVSFORUM.)

Bottom line: in Pioneer DVDRs, you can still get a couple of very pricey "international" models from a "220 volt" appliances dealer or two in NYC (these models are actually universal current, and I think they do PAL as well as NTSC), or you can go to Canada. In the latter case, you may run into some Customs issues. In either case, you can pretty much forget about a Pioneer warranty. They are said to be very strict about models, territories, and approved dealers.

And of course, there is always Ebay.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Seeker47, what about THIS PIONEER? It's as expensive as the JVC(when you find it) but at least I know ecost is a pretty reputable place. And are there any specific pioneer model numbers you recommend? (U.S. models past or present)
    Quote Quote  
  8. It has no HDD - a must feature in my humble opinion.

I just bought the 531 on Overstock for $237. It has an 80gb HDD.

I believe they are still avail. The 531 has TVGOS issue but I turned mine off. Please note..the 531 on Overstock is a refurb...but I am very happy with it.

I also own a 420H (even older Pioneer).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What is the source? If digital cable, I highly suggest the RCA with an 80GB that is on clearance at Walmart (plus you get the 90-day Walmart return). The RCA has a terrible tuner, so only get it if you'll use composite in from a cable or satellite box that tunes itself.

It has a gorgeous 3-hour mode on clean source, comparable to the JVC quality. Use a Zoran chipset.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    What is the source? If digital cable, I highly suggest the RCA with an 80GB that is on clearance at Walmart (plus you get the 90-day Walmart return). The RCA has a terrible tuner, so only get it if you'll use composite in from a cable or satellite box that tunes itself.

It has a gorgeous 3-hour mode on clean source, comparable to the JVC quality. Use a Zoran chipset.
    Source is a satellite box.

Great it has a good 3-hour mode, I use that nearly 90% of the time.

Originally Posted by Tekken
    Seeker47, what about THIS PIONEER? It's as expensive as the JVC(when you find it) but at least I know ecost is a pretty reputable place. And are there any specific pioneer model numbers you recommend? (U.S. models past or present)
    Your right, that is expensive. But it is little over $30 less than a JVC I found at http://www.ugotadeal.com/product_info.php?products_id=1041?ref=froogle. But if Ecost has free shipping (never bougth from Ecost so I don't know), they would nearly be the same prices because shipping from U Got A Deal isn't free. But Tekken, don't forget Ebay. Ebay is a great place, and I got most of my video equipment there used and are still working like new years after I bougth them.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I totally agree about ebay. I bought my JVC 7800U on ebay used and it has been great. I'm going to look into that RCA that Lordsmurf mentioned.

So which one are you seriously considering now J C ?
    Quote Quote  
  12. I can't find the Pioneer 531 at eCost and I can't seem to find the RCA with 80GB HDD at Walmart. The only RCA at Walmart I found was a VCR/DVD recorder combo.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Tekken
    I can't find the Pioneer 531 at eCost and I can't seem to find the RCA with 80GB HDD at Walmart. The only RCA at Walmart I found was a VCR/DVD recorder combo.
    Probably will go with the RCA since Pioneers are either too hard to find or too high in price.

I too couldn't find it online at Walmart, I think it might be an in-store special.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I just bought the 531 on Overstock for $237. It has an 80gb HDD.

I believe they are still avail. Please note..the 531 on Overstock is a refurb...but I am very happy with it. I had also used a banner for a new user/first time purchase...for $25 off. I don't see that banner anymore. Think I just got lucky. Their price is $259. The unit was well packaged and shipped very quickly. I got it in two days for their standard shipping of $2.95.

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Pioneer-DVR531HS-80GB-Hard-Drive-DVD-Recorder/208...ID=prod2086543

I had received an e-mail last week advising that there were only 50 in stock when I was notified about this product.

See if this code is still valid. Promo code 85721 will save you 10%. Found it at slickdeals.net.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by cie3
    I just bought the 531 on Overstock for $237. It has an 80gb HDD.

I believe they are still avail. Please note..the 531 on Overstock is a refurb...but I am very happy with it. I had also used a banner for a new user/first time purchase...for $25 off. I don't see that banner anymore. Think I just got lucky. Their price is $259. The unit was well packaged and shipped very quickly. I got it in two days for their standard shipping of $2.95.

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Pioneer-DVR531HS-80GB-Hard-Drive-DVD-Recorder/208...ID=prod2086543

I had received an e-mail last week advising that there were only 50 in stock when I was notified about this product.

See if this code is still valid. Promo code 85721 will save you 10%. Found it at slickdeals.net.
    Looks like a great buy! Probably will get this one now.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Do a search on avsforum for the tvgos and eureka threads so you know what you are getting into before you buy it.

There are other good threads on this machine on this forum as well. This is not a perfect machine but Pioneer makes a great recorder and this one has a HDD.

The TVGOS resulted in buggy recordings for some users. I turned mine off and have had no issues but I have only had my machine for five days and I have not really had a chance to use it yet.
    Quote Quote  
  17. There have been some real bargains on 531H's on eBay recently. Prices ranged from about $135 to $180. Add about $15-$20 for shipping.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I guess my purchase was a bit impulsive. I had not researched prices on ebay...but jumped on the offer as I was notified by e-mail that these machines were available.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Makes sense why I couldn't find the Pioneer 531 before, because I was looking for it at eCost.com, not overstock.com.

Can anyone tell me if the unit at Walmart is the same as THIS ONE? And also what is the price at Walmart?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/RCA-DRC8030N-DVD-Recorder-w-80GB-Hard-Drive/25194...duct.html?ak=1

This is the exact unit I've had for 5 months now. I went through a dozen or so hard drive recorders before settlings on this one. It's only real weakness is it does not like Sony DVD+R, and it often has a bad tuner (some of them are fine, however, just not mine, or even most of them).

I feed it digital cable from a Motorola cable box, via composite, and the signal is nice and clear, and the encodes are noise-free with proper color values. As I said before, it's very comparable to the JVC quality.

I've had to real trouble using Verbatim DVD+R media, or various 2.4x DVD+RW

I found most newer recorders, especially HDD recorders, look pretty pitiful past 2 hours, as they wanted to use 720x480 at 3- and 4-hour recordings. It was all full of blocks, and other noise. Yuck. I had to drive an hour away, to a Walmart in the next county, to get my unit (they were all sold out in the dozen or so stores near me). It was worth the trip.

Another benefit of the RCA is you can replace the hard drive. Simply take it out, and drop a 250GB (or whatever size you want) in it's place. Instantly becomes a bigger machine! A good Seagate 300-320 or Western Digital 250 is suggested.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Now I have to choose between RCA and Pioneer. Both sound great. I especially like that fact that you can change the RCA hard drive and has a great 3 hour mode.

I think I'll go with RCA, I checked Ebay and they are going cheaper than Pioneer.

But who knows, I'll probably change my mind again in a few minutes. I'm known to do that.

Thank you all for your help!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Is the RCA as good as the Pioneer??? Thant would be interesting to know if it is..I'd like to hear more. Very happy w/my Pioneers but I'd like to know more...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think the RCA's Zoran chipset does a bit better than the Pioneer, in both 2-hour and 3-hour modes. It's not a huge amount, and the RCA has no filters (neither does the Pioneer, not really). So it's only good off a high-quality source signal, and then only using a non-tuner input.

For me, it was perfect. I get a high quality digital cable recording.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I tested both the RCA 8030N and Pioneer 531H on this thread,

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic279460.html

The Pioneer has less resolution than the RCA. It has the TV Guide feature loved by some and cursed by others. The RCA behaved like it did not have a full IRE range. In other words, the whites were a bit muddy and the blacks were not quite black. You can see this from the contrast and black level tests. Also the color was a bit yellow compared to the original reference image. The RCA has no adjustments and the Pioneer has a full complement of adjustments for black level, white level, gamma, hue, chroma level, YNR ( brightness noise reduction ), CNR ( color noise reduction ), etc. The range of these adjustments was posted to the above thread as well.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Toshiba is the best. PQ is stunning. Almost every imaginable adjustment.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by trhouse
    I tested both the RCA 8030N and Pioneer 531H on this thread,

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic279460.html

The Pioneer has less resolution than the RCA. It has the TV Guide feature loved by some and cursed by others. The RCA behaved like it did not have a full IRE range. In other words, the whites were a bit muddy and the blacks were not quite black. You can see this from the contrast and black level tests. Also the color was a bit yellow compared to the original reference image. The RCA has no adjustments and the Pioneer has a full complement of adjustments for black level, white level, gamma, hue, chroma level, YNR ( brightness noise reduction ), CNR ( color noise reduction ), etc. The range of these adjustments was posted to the above thread as well.
    I'm looking at your post in the other thread now. I do see what you mean when you say that the RCA has a yellowish tint to it and about the whites and blacks.

Don't really like that the LP mode of the Pioneer is blurry, but so is the RCA.

It seems each has it's faults, and now I need to choose which I would be willing to settle with. Don't really need the DVD Recorder for a month or two, so I have plenty of time to think about it.

I might just go with the Pioneer and use the SP mode. I like that the Pioneer keeps the original color, while the RCA has a yellowish tint.

I googled the RCA when I thought I was going to get that and someone said on another board that they had troubles with it crashing and breaking down. They took it back and got another one and that one had the same troubles.

I look more into it later, I have to go and do some chores around the house.

Thanks everyone for your help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The only time I saw the RCA with a hue shift (slight yellow tint) was when you played it from the RCA itself. I forget if it was from disc or from hard drive. I think it was just on the disc. Beyond that, only from certain channels. The color saturation on the RCA playback is also a bit higher than some units. I'd venture a yellow shift may just be a SIGNAL that was yellow shifted being more obvious with the color punched up. My cables channels definitely vary in color and IRE quality, as does everybody else's.

When the content is taken off the recorder, it looks perfectly fine, no shift at all, perfect values. So the display outputs are a potential problem. My television, which isn't all that fancy, has a few color modes, and one of them cools the image. This would fix it, should I watch the content on the RCA and not elsewhere.

Recorders make poor players, in general. Remember that.

And I'm nitpicking here, it's not something that is obvious unless you really look at the picture hard. This is not a major or even a minor flaw.

If you find 352x480 to be blurry, your tv is larger than 40 inches, or you're looking too closely and trying to find flaws. Sit back and watch the show as normal. The recorded image is not much different than the source signal.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    The only time I saw the RCA with a hue shift (slight yellow tint) was when you played it from the RCA itself. I forget if it was from disc or from hard drive. I think it was just on the disc. Beyond that, only from certain channels. The color saturation on the RCA playback is also a bit higher than some units. I'd venture a yellow shift may just be a SIGNAL that was yellow shifted being more obvious with the color punched up. My cables channels definitely vary in color and IRE quality, as does everybody else's.

When the content is taken off the recorder, it looks perfectly fine, no shift at all, perfect values. So the display outputs are a potential problem. My television, which isn't all that fancy, has a few color modes, and one of them cools the image. This would fix it, should I watch the content on the RCA and not elsewhere.

Recorders make poor players, in general. Remember that.

And I'm nitpicking here, it's not something that is obvious unless you really look at the picture hard. This is not a major or even a minor flaw.

If you find 352x480 to be blurry, your tv is larger than 40 inches, or you're looking too closely and trying to find flaws. Sit back and watch the show as normal. The recorded image is not much different than the source signal.
    I'll be sure not to watch most of my videos on DVD on the RCA if I decide to get that one.

As for blurry-ness, I probably won't notice, like you said, if I watch the TV normally.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Tekken
    Seeker47, what about THIS PIONEER? It's as expensive as the JVC(when you find it) but at least I know ecost is a pretty reputable place. And are there any specific pioneer model numbers you recommend? (U.S. models past or present)
    (cie3 answered your first question.) I have the 520 (2004 model ?) and the 640 (2006 model), and like them both very much. But that won't be useful info unless you go the Ebay route, as both models are off the market. Believe it or not, some leftover 640s have been closing on Ebay recently for as much as $750. Youch !

Some preliminary reports suggest that the new models being sold in Canada closely resemble the 640, except for some details like the size of the HDD and the color of the unit and its remote. I hope that the overall quality remains what it was, even if we can't buy them here.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Seeker47, thanks for the info. If I go the Pioneer route I will probably go for the 531.

Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    ....... My television, which isn't all that fancy, has a few color modes, and one of them cools the image. ...
    Lordsmurf, if you don't mind me asking... what type of TV do you use? From reading your site and your posts I gather you watch a lof of older animation... which I do also. And I know I've found out the hard way that many of the newer displays make older stuff look pretty bad.
    Quote Quote