VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    My laptop randomly shuts itself down, it happened yesterday after being online for around 3 hours.

Today I was online for about 30 mins then started to burn a vcd, it was at the stage where it was converting the video so I stepped out for a bit only to come back with the laptop turned off, nothing was written to the disk because it didnt get that far.

I thing its because of over heating even though I try to keep it cool, currently it sits on top of a box made from cardboard with none of the sides blocked.

Is there anyway to prevent the shutting off?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Sure there is. Fix the problem.

Now, to FIND the problem is another matter.

Check the event logs in Administrative tools. ALL of them. Note any events occurring around the time of shutdown. Get something to display your CPU temp. Check that the fans are blowing air. Somewhere on the box, there is an exhaust vent. There should be warm air blowing out. Ideally, you have checked this in the past and are familiar with the amount and temperature of air being exhausted. If you have not done this previously, there is no way to tell if the amount and temperature is within normal range.

Check the BIOS for fan speed and temp indicators.

Could be heat. Could be battery, AC/DC inverter, charging circuit, virus, bad HD, component on the MOBO, in fact, pretty much damn near anything including sunspots and/or cosmic rays. Need more info.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    boot the comp into the bios setup screen. go to the page that displays the temps and voltages. let it sit there and see what happens. while in bios setup, the cpu is running 100% and any heat problems will show up fairly quickly.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vijaygunners
    My laptop randomly shuts itself down, it happened yesterday after being online for around 3 hours.
    yes this is a new feature of windows update
    I am just a worthless liar,
    I am just an imbecil
    Quote Quote  
  5. 1.Make sure the power cord/battery is working properly.
    2.Make sure nothing is obstructing the vents on the bottom.
    3.See if there's an update for your BIOS,sometimes the update fixes temperature and charging issues.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This was happening to one of my laptops and I fixed the problem. Believe it or not it was something as simple as using the wrong power adapter. Somehow I swapped the power cable for an older laptop with a newer one. The adapter I had was built for a different laptop but had the same size power jack and when I plugged in my laptop appeared to be charging.

Every couple of days it would shut itself off, no warning, no event logs at all! The laptop somehow tricked itself into thinking it had a full battery and was charging while it was slowly losing power on the lesser rated cable.

Replacing the cable solved the problem.

http://www.andremorris.com
    ---------------------------------------------
    *&@*&&#
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TooLFooL
    Originally Posted by vijaygunners
    yes this is a new feature of windows update
    ROTFL
    good one!

(sorry for OT but I almost literally ROTFL'd when I read it)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Easy test get giant box fan, direct at laptop.
    Leave On go Out. If it still powers down, its not heat related
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dcsos
    Easy test get giant box fan, direct at laptop.
    Leave On go Out. If it still powers down, its not heat related
    I did this and everything was all good
    Quote Quote  
  10. It is overheating and to prevent damaging the CPu it shuts off.

The Really big clue is 3 hours just surfing the net, <30 minutes converting video which runs the CPU at 100% causing the most heat.

Cause one, you have a bad coling fan.
    Cause two and more likely the heat sinks inside the case are clogged with dust. They need to be cleaned. I suggest you don't try and do it yourself unless you have one of the few laptops that have easy access to the fans and heatsinks with a seperate cover over them, Some Sager/Alienware and some Dell and so on. If you can figure out where the air is supposed to come out you can see if it is blowing strongly or just trickling out and very hot. Either way I suggest you have it fixed and stop using it. As even before it shhuts down it is reunning very hot for a while before it reaches the thermal shutdown threshold.

This is common on certain model Dell Desktop replacment models and HP Desktop replacemnet models.

For example this is a sample of how I check to see if something is a known problem .

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Dell+inspiron+5100+overheat

Substitute your make & model and see what turns up.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try compressed air, maybe you can force dirt out and repair it easily
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Q : currently it sits on top of a box made from cardboard ?

A : Bad idea (retains heat)

Have laptop sitting up and off flat surfaces will help .

----

Random restarts , switching off ... head for the battery first .
    Remove it , drain power (completely flatten it) , reinsert , connect power , come back in half an hour to see how its going .

Draining batteries for laptops involves a 5watt bulb (brake light from car will do) , and wire light up and connect using either aligator clips or other means of attachment to battery pins .

When bulb nolonger glows , leave it for a further 10 minutes , before reinserting into laptop to be recharged .

On most , there will be no physical signs to indicate battery internals are defective ... dissasembly required , and possible repacking with replacement cells .

Unless a liquid substance can be seen on seems (cells stuffed , leaking acid) ... not pretty .

Simpler to get another battery .

----

Video processing triggers event .

Directshow filters issue possible - use radlight : http://download.videohelp.com/download/rlfm_bin1_5.zip

----

Overheating issues .

Disasemble unit to clean fan (remove keyboard panel in most cases to access) .
    You could also blow air through the inlet , but is not a perfect sollution .

On most dells , inlet is next to power input on back end .

Rare : faulty heat sink compound / fan .

What we refer to as monday or friday itis .... assembler rushed .

Use artic silver 5 in all cases should heatsink compound be suspect , use nothing else .

----

Personal firwall programs can triger same events ... disable them and run conversion process to see if event is triggered ... if not while firewall is disabled , then personal firewall product cause's issue .
    Quote Quote