VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Got my new PC (thanks in no small part to many of you and your advice) Well I just hooked up my asus p5b deluxe board and installed windows XP on a SATA drive. I am trying to now hook up my old hard drive to copy info over. It's IDE. I have tried EVERY possible combination of jumper but continue to get the following error message when jmicron is detecting drives: "NO ANY DRIVE FOUND" Besides the fact that it's poor grammar , I cannot figure it out. I hook the blue IDE cable to the board and have hooked every combination of the black and gray end to the drive with every jumper setting (master, slave, cable select, etc) and it simply doesn't seem to find it. I know it's looking because when I disconnect the IDE from the board it boots normally but with the IDE connected it does about a 2 minute search for drives prior to booting.

Any thoughts before I simply buy a USB device to put old the drive in and transfer data that way?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    did you also plug in a power cable? also try a different 80 pin ide cable. drive should be set to single or master if that's not a choice. make sure the ide channel is enabled in the bios.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah power is there....cables are good. I can't figure it out. WEIRD!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    leave the case open and power it up. does the drive power on - usually they click then whir - hot to the touch after a while? just for a test see if you unplug the sata drive will the board find the ide drive?
    --
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes it turns on.....No if I unplug the SATA drive it does not recognize the IDE drive. I already ordered the USB case to put the drive in but would LOVE to figure this out. It's like a big mystery! BIOS looks good...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ensure the drive is set to Master and is on the end of the cable. Some drives also have to Master settings, Master with slave and Master alone. If your cdrom drive is IDE, try leaving it disconnected.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you might take it to a friends house to check it on another pc but my guess is the ide hard drive has a fried controller board. were you having weird problems with the old computer?
    --
    Quote Quote  
  8. Make, Model of drive? Condition when last used? Jumper setting and other drives on same cable when last used? Any other drives on cable in current setup? If there is another drive on the IDE cable, remove it, set jumper, and test. Some types of drives just will not co-exist on the same cable.

Unless your IDE controller is turned off or fried, a USB box will not help.

Many new MOBO completely or partially disable IDE when SATA is used. Use a different drive to verify cable and controller functionality. Once that is verified, next is to get the jumpers set right, the recognition delay with the drive attached indicates some sort of connection, either the jumpers are wrong or the drive is bad.

A CD drive will suffice to verify controller and cable function.
    Quote Quote