VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread

1. Hello,

I need your help. I have an HTPC based on a Core2duo 2.4 Ghz and an onboard Soundcard from Soundmax. I run Windows Vista Ultimate and I use a few players like Videolan, BsPlayer, WMP, PowerDVD.
    I only use the S/PDIF output and therefore I have disabled all other outputs and inputs.
    My HTPC is very unstable when it comes to sound.
    I never know if I'll get some sound out or not when I wanna watch a movie.
    The problem comes in the following flavours:
    - no sound at all in all or part of the players
    - all sound comes out in faint stereo although the source is 6 channels
    - no sound with some filetypes, sound with other filetypes

I only play files in hdtv format (mkv, avi, wmv, blue-ray or hd-dvd from HDD).
    I tried every kind of codec available but I never succeded to have something that works flawlessly with all softwares and all files.
    At this point I decided to clean up all codecs on my HTPC and only install Vista Codec Pack.
    I also did the same clean up and install K-Lite Mega Codec pack before.
    I felt with each of these packages that I was close to the target but not yet.

Actually I am lost in these sea of filters and codecs.

Is there anybody that can help me set the magic combination, save the config, backup my HTPC and forget all of it and start to enjoy?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Actually I am lost in these sea of filters and codecs
    That would be problem 1. Codec Packs can be a whole load of trouble, and you have no idea what they have done, or where to start when troubleshooting. And uninstalling rarely works.

s/pdif is feeding what ?

What are your actual sources ? AVI is a container. MKV is a container. The actual content could be anything. I suspect that most of the avi files aren't HD or anything like it. They may have come from a HD broadcast source, but I will lay odds they are mostly low res Xvid encoded video with 2 channel MP3 or perhaps AC3. MKV could also be any combination of formats.

Until you know what you are really playing, you don't know what codecs you really need. Installing a codec pack is like putting out a match with a shotgun. Yes, it blows out the flame, but it also blows a bloody great hole in your wall.

There is no single, universal codec. You need the right codecs for everything you want to play. Or you have to re-encode everything to meet a very narrow criteria.

The closest to a universal codec is FFDShow, which can decode most audio and video formats using a small number of open-source libraries. It's not, strictly speaking, a codec. But it also isn't really a codec pack.

At this point I would consider blowing the whole thing away and starting clean. Find a single file with simple needs - WMV is probably good as it should require no extra codecs - and test it out. If this doesn't work then you should probably start looking at drivers, cables and the like. Don't start installing codecs and things until you know for certain that the hardware is working as it should.

Once you are at that stage you can then use g-spot to determine what other codecs you might need. Install only those codecs to get things going.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use the Vista Codec pack with my Vista install and I haven't had any problems. http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=66826 It does contain ffdshow.

But if you installed the K-Lite codec pack previously, you may have already done some damage. It does not uninstall without leaving a bunch of stuff in the computer. You might have to use Codec sniper to clean up the mess. (If it will work with Vista.)

But your problem may be more in audio settings than codecs. VLC for one, has it's own codecs and doesn't use the ones on your system. I also use GOM player for ease of use.

And xtrips, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,
    Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thank you all!
    I must tell you what happened though.
    I was thinking of starting to implement all your advises, uninstall all codecs, clean my system with tools, clean the registry etc...
    But you came up with that GOM player i never heard of and now it works like magic.
    All the files run perfectly, it is easy to use and easy to control the subtitles speed with.
    I am so relieved.
    I just have one question though.
    My background is more into hi-fi and high-def so I am the kind of guy that invest a lot in cables, cones, spikes, and of course hi-level equipment (i'm not bragging, just setting the picture). So my questions are:
    - does this player equal in quality of picture and sound to powerdvd or other well known players?
    - does it use my nVidia purevideo plugin?
    - is there anything i can improve by using this or that player, this or that codec?
    - is there anything i can improve by using a dedicated soundcard (not the one i have onboard)?

Thanks
    Quote Quote