VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Panasonic DVD recorder, model DMR-ES15. We like to record onto DVD-RAM and use the "chasing play" feature (watch while recording) to skip commercials. This feature is only available with DVD-RAM discs.

I occasionally want to save programs, edit out the commercials, then make a standard DVD with the results. The first time I tried this, I found out my pc’s DVD drive couldn’t read DVD-RAMs. So I bought and installed a new drive (Lite-On LH-20A1P-185) which does read the discs. I find a folder “DVD_RTAV”, and in the folder are three files: “VR_MANGR.BUP”, “VR_MANGR.IFO”, and “VR_MOVIE.VRO”. Cyberlink PowerDVD plays the recorded video, so I assume the drive is working.

Now my trouble is that I cannot extract the video. I read lots of advice that says to copy the .VRO file from the disc to the computer, but when I try, I get a message:

"Cannot copy VR_MOVIE: Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use."

I cannot move or copy the file, despite the fact that I cannot find any evidence that the disk is full or write-protected or that the file is currently in use.

When I try to import the .VRO file into “compatible” programs directly from the disc, I usually get some kind of “unable to locate file” error. Ulead Movie Factory 5 is one I have, that others claim works with .VRO files, even though the "files of type" listing in the "open video file" screen doesn't show .VRO files. If I choose "all files" and browse to my DVD drive, when I choose the .VRO file I get the message:

"Unable to open [M:\DVD_RTAV\VR_MOVIE.VRO]. Unable to find the file. Please check the name and location and try again."

The .BUP and .IFO files *are* movable and can be copied to other locations; it is only the .VRO file that I cannot access, copy, move, or rename. The Panasonic recorder does not offer me any opportunity to “finalize” a DVD-RAM disc, nor can I find any utility for doing so on the machine.

Any ideas on how to get this file off the DVD-RAM disc?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Baldrick-

I saw this posting earlier. I guess you're suggesting I try the IsoBuster program?

The reviews are contradictory about whether the free features will work or not. I downloaded and installed it in "free" mode, and as near as I can tell, it doesn't do *anything* in this mode. It certainly doesn't extract the .VRO files - I get "for this functionality you need to register."

Would you expect the "free" version to help me?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try Cyberlink PowerProducer or TMPGEnc DVD Author to import files as mpeg's onto PC (both have trial versions).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Sounds like the VRO file may be CPRM protected. It's becoming a pretty common issue with DVD-RAM recordings on the newer machines. If that is the case, you won't be able to copy it to your hard drive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try using MPEG Streamclip 1.0.1, it does the job of reading .VRO files and Demuxing both audio & video streams.
    I've also got that same DVD recorder aswell, but yea try using that program, it should help you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    oh 1 other thing, it does require Quicktime 6 with the MPEG 2 decoder, download Quicktime Alternative from:
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/QuickTime_Alternative.htm
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I liked the apparent simplicity that MPEG Streamclip might have offered, but that program, like most I've been able to try, won't open my .VRO files. I'm starting to wonder if gshelly61's copy protection issue is the trouble.

The instruction manual for my recorder isn't totally clear on the subject, but I get the impression that CPRM is a digital broadcast issue, and I'm only recording analog cable TV signals. Why would CPRM only cause trouble on a DVD-RAM, and not any other rewritable DVD format?

Interestingly, Nero 7 is the only program I've found so far that will import the video segments without a hitch, but when I install that monster on my computer, about a dozen other utilities and applications get screwed up or disappear, including my mouse drivers, graphics card drivers, volume control, and antivirus program. I can restart them manually, but when I restart Windows, they're all gone again. Too much trouble for me!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps it's a UDF driver issue. My Pioneer 109 came with Ulead Data Add-on, which has or is the driver. Without it, I had similar "symptoms".
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you know how I would investigate whether it is a UDF driver issue?
    Quote Quote