VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. EDIUS gets a major facelift, some new features, and yet more formats added to its arsenal in this forthcoming, FREE update due in July 2007.

New User Interface

EDIUS v4.5 features a new-look interface application-wide. This new design is the result of a combination of market research, and the continuing work being done to fully integrate EDIUS with the Grass Valley product line, all with the same look and feel. The new look also offers you a glimpse of the future of Grass Valley EDIUS software.

Batch Export and Segment Encoding

Exporting your finished projects gets a boost with EDIUS v4.5. You can now use the Batch Export feature to not only queue up export jobs for multiple sequences within your project, but you can also assign multiple target formats for your project. Once set, you can leave EDIUS to encode away, one file at a time.

Segment Encoding ('Smart Rendering') makes its debut in EDIUS v4.5. Supporting 1080i MPEG-2 content, Segment Encoding reduces the time taken to export your project to the same format and bitrate, by simply encoding the edited and modified sections of any 1080i MPEG-2 clips.

New Basic DVD Authoring

With EDIUS v4.5, you can now create DVD titles with interactive menus and chapter navigation, using built-in menu button and background artwork. The new 'Print to DVD' function offers a choice of constant or variable bitrate video encoding, and Dolby® Digital AC-3, PCM Wave or MPEG Layer II audio encoding.

http://www.canopus.com/products/EDIUSPro/newfeatures.php
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How good is Edius compared to other apps? Is it worth looking at or is EDIUS 4.5 just a retread for those who who are stuck in their ways?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I work with Edius4 and PremierPro2
    In general PremierPro2 is better and easy to work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Edius has been targeted for quick turnaround, effects intensive projects done on a budget. Think late night infomercials and local new/used car ads.

Grass Valley is more focused these days on local TV station internal needs as they go through high definition conversion. Think station promos, news magazines and local features.

All that old Sony and Panasonic SD edit hardware will go to the dump.

Thomson Grass Valley also sell their current "NewsEdit" package to major news organizations.
    http://www.tvtechnology.com/features/Focus-on-editing/f-JA-editing.shtml
    Quote Quote  
  5. Edius 4.5 free trial and Update downloads now available: www.canopus.com
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    IMO, Edius is more stable than Premiere Pro. Has a lots of good things that I like. But Vegas still Number in my book. I have dealt with Avid, Edius, Premiere, Pinnacle Liquid, Ulead, cassanova.... Still can't match Vegas as far as Price, Learning curve & being Stable.
    http://www.absolutevisionvideo.com

BLUE SKY, BLACK DEATH!!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Marvingj
    IMO, Edius is more stable than Premiere Pro. Has a lots of good things that I like. But Vegas still Number in my book. I have dealt with Avid, Edius, Premiere, Pinnacle Liquid, Ulead, cassanova.... Still can't match Vegas as far as Price, Learning curve & being Stable.
    How do you compare the Main Concepts encoder in Vegas with the Canopus encoder in Edius?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, it's been debated by pros and consumers alike regarding Vegas' encoder vs others. Vegas uses the same Main Concept encoder that a few other apps use, but they don't use the same processing nor preprocessing. For this reason alone, several pros use Vegas. Edius/Procoder (if it was still around) can't touch the Sony output from the Main Concept encoder. The new Rhozet Carbon Coder looks great, but haven't compared it to Vegas side by side yet. They are the people that bought the Procoder technology from Canopus before Grass Valley came along and bought Edius.
    Not too long ago Brian Mercer, well known compression expert, tested several encoders. He found the Vegas encoder to be the best in class. He posted the results in a professional encoders forum, and the community also found the same/agreed with him.
    Compressor is such a good compression tool that darn few use it in comparison to Squeeze, particularly for MPEG 2 encodes.<sarcasm>

If you want great/better than Vegas encodes, nondiscernible from the original, try Cinemacraft. Or a hardware encoder. Cinemacraft was better than Vegas in the torture test that Brian did, but it's also 5 times the price just for the encoder. Not too many people are into spending 2K just for an encoder. But it's worth it, if you do very high end work.
    Vegas' encoder is used every day all over the world for export to XDCAM HD/broadcast.
    http://www.absolutevisionvideo.com

BLUE SKY, BLACK DEATH!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Before somebody dumps on Sony, remember the Vegas team is made up of the same Madison, Wisconsin ex Sonic Foundry people and they are an intact group separate from the day to day mother Sony. Don't blame them for poor service on your Vaio notebook. Everybody is getting acquired these days.

Mainconcept is a separate German company.
    Quote Quote