VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i've tried all different programs even virualdub with all different filters i just cant seem to remove the scanline artifacts and the noise so how can this removed?

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you are talking about the noise across the top of the screen, you probably cant. I certainly don't see scanline artifacts or serious noise in the single still you have posted. But the noise across the top third of the frame looks like it could be from tape damage or head problems from the original player.

Can you post a few seconds of video to confirm this ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok here's another shot

Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    an this one?

Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    here's the last one

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The short answer is not without a lot of work, and probably not totally. As I said before, most of this appears to be tape damage or tracking/head issues.

You need to spend some time - possibly quite a bit of time - searching and reading through the Restoration forum. Specifically you will looking for posts on avisynth and the despot and descratch plugins. They are the most likely filters for this type of problem.

Perhaps someone like Lordsmurf can give you some ideas on how to better capture the tapes in the first place.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so where can i find these filters?are they for virtualdub or avisynth?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    avisynth. http://avisynth.org/warpenterprises/ is probably the best bet, or neuron2.net

However these two filters are difficult to get results out of, so if you can find some posts from people who have been successful with then, you will speed your progress no end
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You have tracking problems here. Maybe another VCR, playback this tape better. Full frame TBC sometimes help a bit with those problems too.

IMO, you won't be able to do much with software filtering. Temporal Smoother on virtualdub may eliminate some of this "noise", but the motion gonna suffer a lot.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i will post a small clip of this one then see if someone can write me a working avisynth script
    Quote Quote  
  11. I would suggest trying another VCR as well. I have five VCR's ( two Sharps, two Panasonics, and one Sony ) and find that a problem tape will tend to play better in one than another even if the VCR is the same brand and model.

Also, some of the Panasonic dvd recorders like the ES10 have front end processing that can improve horizontal and vertical problems.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the info
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think guns1inger is right., try DeSpot and DeScratch. RemoveDirt *might* give a very little bit of help.
    Check the official threads at doom9, the author sometimes responds on those threads with advice.
    DeScratch LINK
    DeSpot LINK

The white noise on your first and fourth screenshots *might* be (I'm guessing!) from dirty heads. Have you tried cleaning your vcr heads? Have you tried another vcr?
    Of course, if this is a dubbed tape and the noise was occurring during the recording, the noise is in the tape, not simply in the current playback on this particulare machine.

The second and third shots show damage that I think may be "stretch-marks" caused by sudden stopping or reversing while running fast-forward or rewind.
    (If you value old tapes, let them play or rewind at normal speed, stopping and reversing the motion can cause those nasty rolling distorted streaks.)

Post a short clip, I would like to play around with it a bit.
    But I have a feeling it might only be fixable by "painting" one frame at a time in a graphics editor. That sort of thing is doable for very short clips only, unless you want to go insane real fast !!!!
    grannyGeek ~~
    Antique Newbie
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    will post a clip soon
    Quote Quote