VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have some sony dvd +r labeled as 16x

dvd info , imgburn, deepburner, ntiCD-dvd all return say the discs are 2x

it takes about 70 minutes to burn a full 4.2 gig DVD onto these discs,

it makes no difference if i'm working from files or ISO ( tried both )

I need a program that will let me manually set the speed for more

dvd info says 'mode one' failure using 'mode 2' to retrieve the dvd data, then says data may be incorrect, i have some other sony discs that are labled 8x and return data as 8x

did i get some bad discs ?

i would really like to try and burn at 8x, as i have about 20 more to do, and this is ridiculous

this should only be taking be 8-12 minutes per disc,

i put one of my other discs, I only have a couple left, and it was reported correctly and burns at the correct speed , this new spindle was specfic for this task
    this is a NON-protected DVD of video shot by some friends

i want to at least test these discs at a higher speed and see the result good OR bad

with 20 more to do it is going to take me all week of my spare time to complete the task
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SONY is known for bad batches. I had a few spindles of their +/- and had some discs only burn at 4x and 8x speeds. Buy VERBATIM dvd media and you'll have no problems.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Have you tried updating the writers firmware?
    www.rpc1.org
    If that doesn't help then I agree with budz and stick with Verbatim(MCC) or TY.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The other posters sort of mentioned it, but you can't just make a DVD burner burn at a higher speed. The burner sets the burning speed by a 'profile' that it holds in firmware memory after it reads the 'code' from a disc. You can try a firmware upgrade, but I suspect the disc is the problem. I would try some different media first and see if they will burn at their rated speeds.

Another possibility is that your burner has reverted to PIO mode. This will slow down burns and reads. Though that doesn't sound like your problem, still worth checking:

To check DMA/PIO mode within Windows:

Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

From there, right click on one of the channels and choose 'Properties>Advanced Settings'. All drives should be DMA mode. The 'Current Transfer Mode' for Hard drives is usually DMA 4-6 and DVD burners DMA 2-4, DVD ROMs usually DMA 2. If you see any in PIO mode, that can slow things down. MS says Windows will default to PIO mode after 6 consecutive read failures.

Changing them back may be easy or complicated. First see if you can change them in that window. If not, I usually right click on the channel the drive is on and uninstall the channel, then let the OS reinstall it by rebooting the computer. This will not damage any files on the computer.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    put one of my other discs, I only have a couple left, and it was reported correctly and burns at the correct speed , this new spindle was specfic for this task
    i looked for a firmware update, the burner is a western digital, inside a case branded by the mfg/seller

I could find NO update under either name
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by theewizard
    put one of my other discs, I only have a couple left, and it was reported correctly and burns at the correct speed , this new spindle was specfic for this task
    i looked for a firmware update, the burner is a western digital, inside a case branded by the mfg/seller

I could find NO update under either name
    I've never heard of a dvd burner that was manufactured by WESTERN DIGITAL. Use CD/DVD SPEED to find out the manufacturer of your dvd burner.

http://www.cdspeed2000.com/download.html
    download NeroCDSpeed 4750 zip.
    then open up the program and you should be able to see what the manufacturer of your dvd burner.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Imgburn can also attempt to check for updated firmware for your drive. In Imgburn, under the Tools menu, pick Drive, then Check For Firmware Updates.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Is this an external writer?
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm surprised no-one else mentioned it yet, maybe I'm the first OLD TIMER to answer

If your drive is taking 70 minutes truely to burn a disk I think that is more like 1/2X as I recall maybe 1X?

I started out with a 2X burner when disks were high priced and was buying 1X disks if I recall correctly. Been along time!
    I think the 1X disks burned in like 30-45 minutes, not 70 minutes. And I was burning full disks which is a bit more like 4.7gig. My drive might possibly have been burning the 1X disks at 2X but even that would still be about 1/2 your time of 70 minutes.

I would look for other problems besides just the disks. If you can get a few disks of another brand try one and see if it burns faster, if it doesn't then your drive may be configured wrong in the system.

I don't remember exactly what the problem was, but I bought a Highspeed DVD burner for my daughter for Chirstmas, tested it in my system and it was only burning about 2x or 4X on the same disks my old NEC was burning about 8X. Problem with that was the IDE or jumpers, I think it had to be on IDE 1 as slave and it wrote full speed, but on IDE 2 it wrote slow I think rather master or slave. Was something like that any way.
    So when my 4X NEC with a hacked firmware was writing at 8X and a brand new drive 12X or higher was only writing the same disks at 2x or 4X you know I was not happy about that at all!!

Anyway you may have the same type problem, I'd check other brands of disks and the drives setup and swap things around.
    overloaded_ide

Spambot FOOD
    Anti-Spam
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    my 8x media is reported as 8x and burns any where i set it up to 8x, normally i use 4x, the 16x media is reported as 2x and is burning slower, but imgburn and other programs say it is 2x media

since the other media works correctly this does NOT appear to br my 'external burner' but mis-lableld or bad media, i wanted to over ride the speed and burn at 4x and 8x and check the quality of the output to find out if i could speed up the process and verify if the media was mislabled or not

and yes the drive is in DMA mode
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    so is your dvd burner a external one or not?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budz
    SONY is known for bad batches. I had a few spindles of their +/- and had some discs only burn at 4x and 8x speeds. Buy VERBATIM dvd media and you'll have no problems.
    I've never heard of this, nor does any experience or secondary research suggest it.
    Sony is pretty stable, no better or worse than Verbatim (Mitsubishi).

The problem here lies solely with the burner. It's not the media.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Originally Posted by budz
    I've never heard of this, nor does any experience or secondary research suggest it.
    Sony is pretty stable, no better or worse than Verbatim (Mitsubishi).

The problem here lies solely with the burner. It's not the media.
    Unfortunately LS I've had bad batches of SONY DVD MEDIA, some discs within the spindles only were able to burn at 4x speed where the rest of the spindle was fine. I call that bad batches. I don't even use it to backup dvd movies that I cherish or even use it for important data. I have many flavors of dvd burners and it isn't a burner problem. :P
    Quote Quote  
  14. Strange I've used a lot of Sony 16X both of the MIJ media codes and the MIT. It always offers to burn at 16X and I always burn at 12X.

I though I had some bad burns and then reburning on Vernatim 16X ha dthe same problems.

The DVDs always started breaking up, Pixeling and so on at the same area no matter if a Movie or several episodes. Later on in the disc it would play fine. IOWS if a 4 episode disc, Ep. 1 would startout playing and have problems, Ep.2 to 4 would be ok. Always somewhere near to start of the disc.

Then I tried them in other players and fine. Second Toshiba of that Divx player to act funky like that. So I've replaced it with a Philips 5960 and now the discs play fine. I liked the Toshiba Remote and its functions much better than the 5960 remote. But that makes two of the Toshibas that acted up. I may just pull it apart and see if there is some problem with the head movement mechanism since it is past warranty.

It is player not media as it happens in the first part od a disc. I guess Toshiba players are at least as reliable as their laptops now.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've had a Toshiba player since 2002 that plays anything, disc-wise. The early models are built to last. The newer ones, not so much, but they still work better than most.

I burn Sony at 4x and 12x, and I've probably used 5,000 of them without a problem. About two-thirds of them were 4x duplication burns, on business projects. They worked better than TY media, and were used when quality mattered (instead of Prodisc or something else in the mid-range). Burners included NEC, Pioneer, Optiarc, TSST, LiteOn, LG and BTC.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No matter what dvd burner I tried to use with those bad batch of SONY discs it would only allow me to burn at 4x spd. As I mentioned the rest of the spindle was fine. I've never had that problem with VERBATIM or TY media.
    Quote Quote