VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've tried multiple searches on this subject but haven't really come up with any useful info. I don't know whether it is because this doesn't affect many people or there is some issue at play.

I have a DVD-RW disc in which a "write-once" program has been recorded onto. It is protected with CPRM, meaning the actual video content is encrypted and tied to a unique ID on the DVD-RW itself. I would like to make a backup copy of this program in case the disc gets ruined.

Now, I know that most modern DVD players can decrypt and play the disc on the fly, and that the newer versions of PowerDVD can even play these discs. But I have not found ANY software that allows for copying of such discs (or even a firmware update for a device to remove the encryption).

If anyone has any info at all please reply. There is so little "buzz" on the subject I feel like I might be missing something here (very strange indeed).
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I guess it's recorded from a dvd recorder with CPRM?

See http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=781737
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    I guess it's recorded from a dvd recorder with CPRM?

See http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=781737
    Thanks Baldrick for the link. I think the issue here is that CPRM is still REALLY misunderstood. This was a Japan broadcast where CPRM is actually implemented. So, it is not just a matter of it being in the VR format, the content itself is actually encrypted and tied to the unique ID on the DVD-RW.

Anyway, I read through that posts (and others linked to it) but the normal slew of great programs (ISOBuster, DVDDecrypter, etc) just doesn't help.

Any further assistance is still very much appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't see the latest versions of AnyDVD or DVDFAB Decrypter mentioned...have you tried those? DVD-Decrypter (not DVDFAB Decrypter!) is very dated. Worse comes to worst, you can email the AnyDVD folks and the DVDFAB folks as they are always eager to add new functionality to their respective programs.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Aha, I found an interesting question/answer on the AnyDVD support forums:

http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=4217&highlight=cprm

I'm guessing that really only Japan has embraced this technology and that is the reason for the relatively low priority on it. Really annoying though! Thanks for all the suggestions. At least I know AnyDVD MIGHT be working on this and I can copy the DVD in the future!
    Quote Quote