VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. We're all MAC users but some of us use Macs.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks Case, well, Case closed after seeing your screenshot. I do Cocktail every month, so don't know why not getting favicons, but thanks for pointing this out
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well OK then,
    Sorry for partially hi-jacking the thread
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you, dcsos - Now, lets keep this thread on the topic of Safari vs the rest of the browsers, not Mac vs PC.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  5. "Apple's Safari Web browser respects color management profiles, but others don't. ....Photographer Rob Galbraith reports that Apple's newly released Safari 3 beta for Windows is color managed--bringing color management to Windows browsers for the first time....Now there's a cross-platform way to present accurate color images on the Web. Check "ICC Profile" in Photoshop's Save for Web dialog to include the info needed for color management to do its thing.....CNET follows up with more details and reports that Firefox may follow suit in version 3.0, due later this year."

Safari brings color-managed browsing to Windows
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SERBIAN
    Now there's a cross-platform way to present accurate color images on the Web.
    And there has been for 10 years now. It's called SRGB, and it's the industry standard. Browsers all natively view in SRGB.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Originally Posted by SERBIAN
    Now there's a cross-platform way to present accurate color images on the Web.
    And there has been for 10 years now. It's called SRGB, and it's the industry standard. Browsers all natively view in SRGB.
    What exactly is sRGB anyways?

I'm using a ViewSonic LCD monitor I bought about 6 or so months ago (my first LCD computer monitor) and it has a sRGB mode for "color adjust" (other settings include K values ala a TV like 6500k etc.) ... this is the mode I use because I seem to recall the manual saying this was some new "standard" in accurate color among desktops.

First time I've ever heard of it though

So again what the hell is sRGB ???

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SRGB_color_space
    ** Although it needs to be noted that some of the usage information on wikipedia is BS. Don't read that section. For example, most all professional dSLR cameras have sRGB. It also glosses over CMYK printing, assuming RGB prints. Some of the BS is pointed out here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:SRGB_color_space although some of that discussion is opinionated amatuer BS too. Statements like "high end professional cameras, such as the Canon's 30D and Nikon's D70" made me giggle. Hardly a pro camera. Written by non-pros, that's for sure.**

Colorspace accuracy doesn't mean anything unless you also calibrate your monitors, scanners and printers. That takes time, money, hardware and software.

I'm betting Safari (if the above statement is accurate) allows a few select ones like Adobe1998, which you really should not use anyway. You've really got to operate a super-closed imaging environment to mess with that one, and it really has no benefit over sRGB. Adobe1998 is often undersaturated and has a red/magenta shift. http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/adobe-rgb.htm
    "Using Adobe RGB is one of the leading causes of colors not matching between monitor and print. sRGB is the world's default color space. Use it and everything looks great everywhere, all the time."

This crap gets even more complex when you start using print colors, like Pantone libraries. I remember when all this stuff was developed and introduced. Beyond colorspace, you've got gamma curves to worry about too.

In other words, proclaiming Safari is better because it can include more colorspace profiles is ridiculous. If nothing more, this is just more proof that Apple is entirely detached from the real world of computer use and digital imaging needs.

Video colorspaces are already a pain as it is, without adding more. I'd say 99.999% of people on this site know nothing of graphics colorspaces. And honestly, all you're missing is added computer headaches.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    I think you made a mistake...Browsers does not natively view in sRGB...Also, sRGB is the worst color management system ever invented and anyone who buys into it is showing their low level of graphic intelligence.

In other words, proclaiming Safari is better because it can include more colorspace profiles is ridiculous......If nothing more, this is just more proof that Apple is entirely detached from the real world of computer use and digital imaging needs.
    I didnt say its better beacuse of that, I just posted interesting thing about Safari which other browser does not have yet, and maybe that can be useful for someone...If it does not mean anything to you maybe it means something to someone else...No reason to flame it that hard...And the second statement is way out of the reality and it does not even deserve to be commented...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smurfy

Video colorspaces are already a pain as it is, without adding more. I'd say 99.999% of people on this site know nothing of graphics colorspaces. And honestly, all you're missing is added computer headaches.
    count me re-soundly in the 00.001% then.
    9 years in graphics and printing before I started fixing computers.

and yes, the last line......here's another one I got agree with smurfy on....
    "Everyone has to learn, so that they can one day teach."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When I'm not here, Where can I be found?
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote