VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A coworker told me that he bought 4 cake boxes of 50 house brand 16X DVD-R's for $8 each (yeah eight dollars) at Office Depot. Not believing him I went in and there were still some left, and with no purchase limit.

The clerk insisted there was nothing wrong with them. I bought two boxes and opened one to test. My Pioneer 112D spit the disc out quick, but the Pioneer 107D accepted it. When I tried to burn in Toast the burn crashed immediately with illegal key sense errors, but strangely Toast kept saying the disc was still blank.

I turned the disc over to look at it and it was severely scratched and has two fingerprints on it. There was a foam disc spacer at the top of the stack, and a clear disc at the bottom, but not the top. I always handle a disc by the edge, so the prints aren't mine. Both cakeboxes were shrink wrapped, with a paper label on the top saying they came from Advanced Media Inc. The discs say 16X, but DVD Media Inspector says they 1X as does the paper label.

.l...@....R.....
    87 88 90 00 03 52 49 54 45 4B 46 00 04 31 00 00 .....RITEKF..1..

Toast will let me burn them 2,4,6 or 8X, but I'm using RPC1 drives with hacked firmware and the 112D is running under PatchBurn generic mmc drivers, since the default boot on my eMac is still Panther 10.3.9

All the other discs in the spindle look okay. The second disc burned fine in the 112 and played flawlessly. I opened the second spindle and all the discs look okay.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Makes you wonder what manufacturer's do with store returns, when they are sent back. Do they salvage what they can, and re-package them?

I personally do not have first hand experience burning on to these, but have two friends who do, and they've never had a problem with either Office Depot +R or -R's I have played some of their recordings on both formats with no problems.
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    RITEKF...1 media ID discs aren't favorites of the PIONEER 112D. RITEK is considered crap low grade media. If you have any data/movies that you'll want to keep I wouldn't burn them on RITEK.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    They are apparently Ritek rejects.

http://www.ritekusa.com/jsp/home.jsp says Advanced Media, Inc. is Ritek's US corp identity.

CDFreaks says F grade media is landfill material. Maybe they could be used to frighten birds before the sun bleaches them out.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=433898
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All of the Office Depot housebrand I have seen are marked in a way that they are not returns or seconds of generic media. Did these really have an OfficeDepot label, or were they non-branded generics.

I have noted that house brand media have a higher number of physical imperfections than name brand media from the same manufacturer. I suspect that in negotiating with media makers, the cost of the media is based in part on the nature of quality control inspections performed prior to packaging. So I have seen CMC media from Staples with problems in applying the coatings, which I have never seen in CMC media with an HP label.

The reason mediaInspector tells you these are 1x media is probably because your Pioneer drive does not have a write strategy for these disks. You may wish to research your firmware further.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    These are actually labelled Office Depot DVD-R 16x 4.7GB on the disc and the shrink wrap of the cake box. They are silver top. The printed media code on the inner ring is UCH702135604F17.
    The store item number is 679-784 and the bar code is 8 46122 09401 1

The Pioneer firmware isn't a problem. DVD Media Inspector doesn't care what my firmware is, it just reads the disc info. Toast doesn't seem to care either. It will let my burn them 2,4,6 or 8x, but not 1x.
    Quote Quote