VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I'm kinda new to this, but I've compiled ffmpeg with support for the right codecs for the PS3, now what command line options do I need to use? I've tried lots of combinations, but I keep on getting "unsupported data".

I'm trying to convert 720p mkv files.

I would really appreciate help on this one.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I found these in a wiki somewhere...

Code:
    ffmpeg -y -i InputVideoFile.avi -title "Title Of Your Choosing Here" -bitexact    
    -vcodec xvid -s 640x480 -r 29.97 -b 1500 -aspect 4:3 -acodec aac -ac 2 -ar 24000 -ab 64 -muxvb 768
    OutputFileNameOfYourChoosingHere.mp4
    They mentioned trouble getting this to work, and also suggested using mpeg1 since the PS3 supposedly can play that as well

Code:
    ffmpeg -i input_file_name.avi -sameq -s 640x480 output_file_name.mpg
    This isn't really my thing, so I don't think I'll be too much help beyond that.

*This didn't really paste well, but I don't want to "fix" it for fear of messing it up.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks tekkieman, that'll probably help with my standard definition .avi files.

Has anybody got ideas for higher definition content?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    try using 3gp converter use mp4 for pc profile,you can change bitrate and resolution by opening transcoding ini in notepad,change and then save
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, I'll have a look.

From a quick search, it seems like the latest version is payware. With ffmpeg available free, and a very capable tool, I was hoping that I could use that. It also seems like a windows only tool. I can dual boot back into my XP partition, but I'm trying to wean myself off windows at the moment.

I'll welcome any other suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried using mencoder? mencoder can read mkv files, so it should be able to create a 640x480 mpeg from them.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Uth, I vaguely remember trying that before and it not working because of some of the codecs not being compiled in. IIRC I was trying to convert a 1920 x 780 mkv. Any suggestions on compiling it with the right things included on Ubuntu 6.06?
    Quote Quote