VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Do you buy the full version after testing a shareware package?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    So do you buy the full version of software after testing a shareware program? Do you keep looking? Do you go out and look for a name brand version and buy that?

I've bought a few after doing the shareware. The prassi ONES cd/dvd burning app for one. Also network magic for my two pcs - works brilliantly for media streaming

How about you?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. If I like it, and use it, I generally buy it. Not just shareware. I go on the principle that any shrink-wrapped product sitting on a shelf in a store will most likely disappoint. So I test drive, and reward the winners.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes.

And I will still keep looking for even more useful software.

I support good software by buying it.
    Whatever doesn't kill me, merely ticks me off. (Never again a Sony consumer.)
    Quote Quote  
  4. If I keep and use the shareware, I pay per the agreement.
    I also donate when I can for freeware.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Depends on the product. There are a few apps out there that don't have freeware alternatives with the same number of features - VideoRedo comes to mind.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    My BIGGEST gripe about shareware, trialware, whatever is that a lot of them don't clearly explain the limitation UP FRONT. I too bought Prassi Ones after my trial period( I think it's brilliant)....but I will not even try a shareware program that does not explain it's limitations(if any) up front.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I selected first option, if it mean "do you buy full version if you liked the trial"... Sorry, but my english aint american
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I won't even try cripple ware that won't let you save even a partial file so you can see the results or that removes many of the key features that draw you to try it in the first place. Although I agree many developers are not up front about their lack of functionality until you actually install it.

Unless internet access is a specific known feature of the program, I also block internet access to stop it calling home. If the program won't install without this then I just won't bother with it.

My preference are the full featured time limited trials that give you a good chance to see what they can do. This is why I chose the first option. My interpretation of this option is that if I try a full featured trial and it does what I want then I am more likely to buy it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'll buy what I need and can budget.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the product is superb and does exactly what I need - I prefer to buy the full version from independent developers. They seem to pay more attention to the detail of the sw more so then the marketing conscious big-name houses. Two that I have VuePrint (from many years ago) and DVD Audio Extractor (really fine piece of sw).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I try to use freeware most of the time. I will occasionally buy software, but even that is a hassle. Upgrades... you usually only get one for free then you have to pay for the next one. Excuse me? I already bought this software!

Having said that, I try to donate to the developers of the freeware that I use. If I MUST buy something, I do, but only after I've researched the crap out of it.
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are some great shareware that I paid for, but the ones that are real buggy I kept until they get all the bugs out. Or I just get rid of them....
    http://www.absolutevisionvideo.com

BLUE SKY, BLACK DEATH!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For me, it depends on 2 things -- how often I need to use the utility -- and whether the pay version offers a superior feature over the free version. For example, I've used about all the versions of NetTransport. But none of the newer versions does anything more than the last freeware version, 1.87. So, I continue to use v1.87. However, I've upgraded from TMPGenc to TMPGenc Plus ... and from QuickTime 7.0 to QuickTime Pro. When it comes to straight payware, I always try to locate an OEM disk rather than inbox versions. My current WinXP is an example. I can usually find much more support online than any manual might provide. Also, my current PC was bought "used" and came with a full version of Acrobat 5.0 pre-installed. However, when I get my new PC, I'll probably buy a newer version (on OEM if available).
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Fully functional trials only. Like the posts above I hate it when developers don't tell you what the limitations of the trial are or limit your ability to save or export files to view the final results. How do they expect you to make a decision without being able to see if the final result fits your needs?
    I support freeware if the author allows or asks for donations and I really like it. I don't mind paying for an upgrade if it's at a reduced price rather than having to pay full price every time, especially if the new version isn't adding anything useful or fixing any bugs.
    You can fool some people all the time,you can fool some people part of the time, but you can't fool everybody all the time
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Whether I try the package is due to whether I have a specific need to be filled at the time. If it is cripple software and the limitation does not preclude solving my need, I will try it. If I can't solve the short term need I move on to another website. I probably won't buy it then, but wait for the need to recur. If it does, I'll buy it. If I found another way to solve the problem or if the need does not recur, sorry but no sale.

When there are multiple available products, life is more complex. I want a product that is supported but I don't want weekly downloads. Its hard to believe that any shareware product can be adequately tested if they are releasing new versions every week. But if there is no visible update activity, I don't want to buy either.

Frankly I have doubts that anyone tests software before release any more - both downloads and shrinkwrap. And buying shrinkwrapped software often means having a long download anyway to get a version which works.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oldandinthe way
    Whether I try the package is due to whether I have a specific need to be filled at the time. If it is cripple software and the limitation does not preclude solving my need, I will try it. If I can't solve the short term need I move on to another website. I probably won't buy it then, but wait for the need to recur. If it does, I'll buy it. If I found another way to solve the problem or if the need does not recur, sorry but no sale.

When there are multiple available products, life is more complex. I want a product that is supported but I don't want weekly downloads. Its hard to believe that any shareware product can be adequately tested if they are releasing new versions every week. But if there is no visible update activity, I don't want to buy either.

Frankly I have doubts that anyone tests software before release any more - both downloads and shrinkwrap. And buying shrinkwrapped software often means having a long download anyway to get a version which works.
    Pretty much my stance, only in more words.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  17. I'll pay for shareware if it's exceptional. Goldwave and EditPlus come to mind. But I will try to use free tools first. But I don't like "limitware". Both of the examples above were fully enabled before I bought them.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  18. Far too goddamn old now EddyH's Avatar
    Soul sucking suburbia! But a different part since I last logged on.
    Search Comp PM
    i promised myself when i was earning enough i'd legitimise my shareware and maybe even payback the authors of stuff i'd used way past it's limit (if it didn't totally expire) or cracked.

... not sure if that's ever going to get done, seeing as i'm still not earning enough (criteria 1 = high enough wage to not live "at home" any more ... not yet met), but I don't use much shareware any more, least not until the last few weeks when all the software i seemed to touch was sharey; also some of the companies have notably gone to the wall or been swallowed up (e.g. Jasc and Syntrillium both being subsumed into the mighty, legacy-spoiling behemoth of Adobe)...

I surely do still owe Jeff Minter at least fiften quid however. Must get round to bunging that in an envelope (along with a cheeky request for the full floppy disc versions of Llamatron, Kozmic and Defender Stargate)
    -= She sez there's ants in the carpet, dirty little monsters! =-
    Back after a long time away, mainly because I now need to start making up vidcapped DVDRs for work and I haven't a clue where to start any more!
    Quote Quote