VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm trying to find out if it's possible to make a backup dvdr uncopyable. I vaguely remember someone saying putting a scratch on the disk in a particular spot would allow it to play fine but not allow the disk to be read. If anyone knows a simple way of doing this it would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try a search as this has been discussed several times here...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nuffskillz718
    Can you make a dvdr unreadable?
    Sure!!!!!
    Run it across a belt sander.... Hit it with a blow torch....... Snap it in half...... Run it through a table saw.... Drill a hole in it....
    Ect. Ect. Ect.

I'm trying to find out if it's possible to make a backup dvdr uncopyable.
    Just ask Hollywood, the MPAA, The RIAA......
    Scratch, Marker spot, i know someone who did it with this cool program and no one could copy it...

Sorry... couldn't resist 8)
    Quote Quote  
  4. why is it that I have to read through so much non-sense to get to the answer of my question all the time? I want to know how to make the disk uncopyable after it has been backed up. For example maybe putting a scratch in a certain spot on the disk or something like that. I don't understand why the question just can't get answer without being criticized. This experience has just reminded me why I don't use forums.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Answer of your question - NO, it is not possible!
    Hopefuly you are satisfied with the answer. If not - try to find a way yourself and report back for you success (or fail).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    why is it that I have to read through so much non-sense to get to the answer of my question all the time?
    Because it's a ridiculous noob question
    If you look around a little you will see....

If the MPAA, SONY, whoever & Other powers to be with their $millions$ can NOT make a disc uncopyable.... why do you think you can 8) there is always a way....

Wanna keep it from being copied... don't let anyone have it

If it will play... it can be copied, period!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    why is it that I have to read through so much non-sense to get to the answer of my question all the time?
    Use the search and you won't have the problem of asking a question that gets asked every week with the same answer.
    "Art is making something out of nothing and selling it." - Frank Zappa
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The rule is, as Hollywood has found out with their supposedly "secure" BluRay and HD-DVD formats, is that if it can be played, it CAN be copied. End of story.

I have a very vague memory of someone also saying something once about a scratch, but a quick search couldn't find anything useful and I don't care enough to spend more time looking. Basically, all you can do is just make it harder to copy, not impossible. Even though DVD's encryption and Macrovision have been broken for years, I know people who never copy DVDs just because they aren't interested in spending the time to rip, decrypt and remove Macrovision, shrink to one layer (if necessary) and re-burn. CSS and Macrovision might be enough for your needs too. You'd be surprised how many people don't copy DVDs just because of them.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Someone in another thread suggested labelling the disc "Gigli" :P

If that doesn't work labelling it "Ishtar" or "Heavens' Gate" would discourage most people.

It's like hiding personal valuables in fake cans of jock itch spray
    http://www.bwild.com/crdicansa.html

Someone could steal it, but probably wouldn't try.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know what your trying to back-up...
    However, if it's personal files or whatever, the newer "usb flash drives" have built in password protestion..
    If it's some dumb movie...then who cares......or worst a TV show......
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The scratch solution was basically a physical version of ArCoSS. Create a large section of black video that you put in a title that is written toward the outside edge of the disc. Find where that title is, and run a scratch though it. So long as you never try to play the title in question, you will never hit the scratch. Anyone who tries to do a simple disc copy will be unable to do so because the scratch will render some of the data unreadable.

Three caveats :

1. Make sure the scratch is only in the blank title. Anywhere else and the disc won't play. DVD Lab Pro is one of the few consumer authoring tools to allow you to place titles where you want them on the disc.

2. You will have to compress your main titles to me much smaller that you might normally do to make room for the blank dummy title. This will reduce quality.

3. It will only stop simple copying. If someone whats the video, all they have to do is copy the VOBs with the title they want in them using windows explorer and re-author. It might stop your granny or a two year old, but it won't stop your mates.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote