VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ok, here's the deal...

PC specs in profile. I already had two HDDs in the PC, one SATA Maxtor 200GB HDD and one ATA Seagate 80GB HDD.

The Seagate has OS only. The Maxtor has mainly games, 12GB of pics, as of now. I bought this new ATA 250GB Seagate and am having detection problems with it. Since the Seagates are both ATA, I have the 80GB(OS drive) on Primary and the 250GB(new drive) on slaveecondary. Then the Maxtor is 'First SATA'. When I boot up, it is only detecting the original two HDDs I had installed; 200GB SATA and 80GB ATA but not the new drive, of course.

So I went into bios and it lists all three drives.

It showed:

"Primary IDE Master ST3800 (80GB drive)
    Secondary IDE Slave ST3250 (250GB drive)
    First SATA Maxtor 6L200 (200GB drive)

so i'm not sure what the deal is... I changed boot order, and still it didn't show the new drive under 'my computer'.

Also, could be just a coincidence but, it seemed ever since this new HDD has been physically installed the PC has had a bit of lag to it...

Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The bios sees the ST3250.

Right click on "My Computer" and select "Manage" then "Disk Management". You should see your drive there. Next partition and format the drive.

After format, copy those pictures over as a backup.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yeah, I just was figuring that out while messing with it. Except actually I had to even 'initialize' the drive as well. Which takes but a second. Anyways, is it best to do it as a primary or extended partition? I think I did the other HDD as primary, but couldn't remember.

Thanks for the help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If it will just be used for data, use extended.
    Quote Quote