VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I hope you can help out here.

I edited a VOB file on Wombles Mpeg Video Wizard DVD, added fadeouts and menus and finally exported the finished product to DVD-R. I copied the original file from an unfinalised DVD-RW, but it copied fine and played fine on Power DVD.

I burnt this to DVD-R at 4x. Whilst it played back fine on the PC and on virtualmpegdub, I put it in the DVD player and the playback is weird. The image keeps on moving back and forward while it plays back, its like its jittery.

I tried all the export settings, like taking off the Virtual Bit rate, but it still plays back the same way. I really dont know how to do this, its pissing me off. Also is there a way to check how it would play on the TV without throwing a DVD in the bin everytime.

I've read about field order reversal but I am not using a separate program for enconding therefore i dont see how this would take place.

Thanks a lot for reading.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Giovannini
    I've read about field order reversal but I am not using a separate program for enconding therefore i dont see how this would take place.
    Field order flag can be changed in the mpeg headers without reencoding. If it doesn't match the real field order in the video you can have such an effect.
    If for some reason the pieces you add with Womble have the other field order than the video, it can be that the program change field order in the mpeg headers for the whole file. This is pure speculation, I don't use Womble.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did you mix sources? What is the source?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I dont think I mixed sources. This is what I did exactly:

1) Recorded program from TV, on a DVD+ RW (RICOH) which is not finalised so I can re-use.

2) Dragged and dropped Video object files (VOB) from DVD RW to desktop

3) Checked that they played fine, check.

4) Loaded Vob's into Womble program. Cut bits and pieces, added fadeouts, regrouped and im done.

5) Used the 'DVD maker' function on Womble (export to DVD, authoring). Settings are standard PAL, tried both VBR and constant.

6) Checked final authored product on PC, plays fine. Burnt DVD.

7) Played back DVD R on my TV, the images are fine and so are the menus, but it drags back and forward during playback with a bit of jiggery pokery. Annoying.

Say it did reverse the field order what can I do to fix that? What can I try here?

Thanks for your timet up to now
    Quote Quote  
  5. Wait a minute! You are in US and the TV system there is NTSC, but you used PAL in Womble. Probably this is where the errors in the playback come.
    You need to set the Womble (editing and DVD making part) to NTSC, not PAL.
    tried both VBR and constant
    What?!!! Are you re-encoding the recording to PAL?!!!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sorry changed the profile.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Oops! Quite a difference!
    Don't know really what can be wrong here, but you can try to analyse the source and the resulting vobs for the field order in Restream (use to show All Files). You can see ther the +++++ for tff field or ------ for the same (if this is the case, of course)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Well, seems OK. Maybe the last I can think of - what you use to burn the disc?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used Nero 6. I'll see if I can post a clip of how the video plays back maybe you can get an idea of whats wrong, because I have no idea.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Well, don't use Nero. Burn the VIDEO_TS folder created from Womble with ImgBurn (Built mode).
    The problem with you posting a clip is that the clip is working in your computer - then it would work also in mine.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just tried IMGBURN. Get the same result. It's a shame because the video is almost watchable, apart from that odd shift of image which it does.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry to update this. I copied the RW disc straight to a DVD-r, WITHOUT editing. It plays fine.

It's the damn program, it's something that happens when you edit it is my guess. Isnt there another more stable program to edit DVD's and author in one?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Well, maybe some of Ulead products can serve you better. Though Womble should be quite stable IMO.
    Try to export the edited video as mpeg from Womble and author it with other program (GuiforDVDAuthor for example). I have a feeling that Womble creates standart full-D1 DVD while your video is 1/2-D1 (352x576).
    Quote Quote