VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I'm looking to convert a Photo DVD Slideshow that was created from a friend of ours. It's currently in NTSC and we would like to make it play on PAL DVD players and TVs. I also want to keep the menus all in tact.

Could someone please point me in the right direction as to what software, guides etc. that I will need to complete this project?

Thanks in advance,

romm2002a
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The odds are so good for it to play without problem on a PAL system, there's hardly any reason to convert to PAL.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm,

Well considering that I will have to be shipping multiple copies of this DVD to family members over seas, I want to be 100% certain that it will work prior to wasting the time, discs and money for shipping them over seas.

I do appreciate your help and if you do know of any tools that will allow me to do the NTSC DVD to PAL DVD conversion, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No simple tool, but much work. It's been covered many times in the past. Do a search.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It most likely won't play on a pal system. The onlyway it will work is if their dvd players support both pal and ntsc. Some do And some don't.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by buttzilla
    It most likely won't play on a pal system. The onlyway it will work is if their dvd players support both pal and ntsc. Some do And some don't.
    Au contraire. It most likely will play - I dare say over 99% of all PAL DVD players and TVs handle NTSC without any problem. The opposite is however not so simple. (Playing PAL on NTSC gear)

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All I seem to find is how to convert from Pal to NTSC but not the other way around.
    Quote Quote  
  8. That one doesn't do menus. This one does, but when romm2002a sees how truly difficult it really is, my guess is that he'll change his mind, at least about doing the menus:

http://www.ntsc2pal.hostrocket.com/FramesetPOS2.htm

No offense intended, but if you come in here asking how to do it, with no idea at all of what's involved, then you're far from ready to even attempt it. Prove me wrong.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I live in PAL country and have yet to find a player that won't either play NTSC and output natively, or at least play NTSC and output PAL. You would have to go back 15 years or more to a find a TV that won't accept an NTSC signal. I have never bothered with an NTSC to PAL conversion because a) there is no need, and b) it is difficult to do without risking quality.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono
    That one doesn't do menus. This one does, but when romm2002a sees how truly difficult it really is, my guess is that he'll change his mind, at least about doing the menus:

http://www.ntsc2pal.hostrocket.com/FramesetPOS2.htm

No offense intended, but if you come in here asking how to do it, with no idea at all of what's involved, then you're far from ready to even attempt it. Prove me wrong.

Believe me, I could care less how much work is involved in doing this job as the DVD happens to be my mother's life in pictures made as a video slide show. My mother recently passed away from a really tough battle with cancer. I owe it to her to complete this project and send the DVD to her sister's (my aunts) over seas.

So your help in getting what I need to complete this would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did you create the DVD yourself ?

If so, you may be better off using the source material and re-encoding that to author a PAL project from scratch. Most of your menus etc should translate fairly easily, only the video needs to be re-worked in most cases.

This would be far simpler than trying to re-build an existing DVD, and you will risk less quality loss using the original source material instead of re-encoding mpg footage.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm not an expert , TMPGEnc DVD Author 3 got a DVD PAL converter
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    Did you create the DVD yourself ?

If so, you may be better off using the source material and re-encoding that to author a PAL project from scratch. Most of your menus etc should translate fairly easily, only the video needs to be re-worked in most cases.

This would be far simpler than trying to re-build an existing DVD, and you will risk less quality loss using the original source material instead of re-encoding mpg footage.
    I was not the one who created the disc... but I was thinking the same thing. I'm going to contact the guy that did and maybe he could reauthor the disc in Pal format but if anyone still has any suggestions on how to convert from NTSC DVD toPAL DVD I'm willing to try them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Where are the people you are sending it to located ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You should send a test disc to the people before going to this much effort. Conversion only hurts quality and takes time. See if a test NTSC works for them. It should.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    As another person living in a PAL country....and having grown up in the US(NTSC).....just send the NTSC disc and stop beating your head against the wall. Right out of the box 99% of PAL country players can play any disc thrown at them.....especially one like you have that has no region coding involved.
    Unless the person to whom you are sending the disc needs to use a hand-crank on the side of their DVD player....you will not have a problem.
    There is a reason you only found guides for Pal to NTSC....it's because NTSC to PAL is not necessary.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    Where are the people you are sending it to located ?
    Sending it to Italy
    Quote Quote