VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've got an XVid file, that I want to burn to DVD.

I used ConvertXtoDVD to convert it to VOB files, then VOB2MPG to convert it to an MPG. However, on attempting to burn this MPG, the audio was about 5 seconds behind the video (at one particular point, I'm not sure if it increases or decreases). The audio was fine on the original AVI.

On opening the MPG with VdubMod, there is no audio at all. The same happens when I open it in screenblast Movie Studio, which is the software I use to edit video.

How can I fix this problem?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    does the dvd work fine? if you play the dvd created by convertxtodvd with a dvd software player like mpc,vlc,powerdvd,windvd.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Audio is present when playing CXTDVD's VOB files, though it is out of sync.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your process seems rather convoluted - Why convert to Video DVD first, then back up to mpg again?

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    convert directly from the xvid to mpg with something else then like tmpgenc xpress.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I use that convoluted process, because I prefer that to having a lighter wallet.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Convertx2dvd isn't free. And for about the same money, you'd be able to buy a DVD player with AVI playback capabilities - no need to convert at all.
    There are many free roads going from AVI to mpg. Take a look at the plethora of guides at your disposal if you select AVI to DVD under CONVERT left.
    I'd suggest avisynth + HCEnc - both good & 100% free.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  8. I have one, I just prefer proper DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I've tried TMPGEnd, which gives me an m2v file that has to be muxed or whatever anyway, so it's not much shorter.

And the audio is now cutting out somewhere between 15 and 20 minutes in.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have one, I just prefer proper DVDs.
    Even though the quality is no better, and often lower after conversion, and you get less on a disc ? Personally I'd rather have 6 movies to a disc and let the player do the scaling for me.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I don't really care what you prefer, I want to get this burnt in the way that I do all my DVDs.

That said, what's going on with this audio?
    Quote Quote  
  12. I don't really care what you want, but for proper DVD's you are using wrong tools.
    Quote Quote  
  13. What should I be using then?
    Quote Quote  
  14. 1. GSpot for analysing the source
    2. VirtualDubMod for fixing the things that are not suitable for conversion based on analysis from GSpot and for separation of video and audio streams.
    3. bitrate calculator for finding appropriate average bitrate
    4. FitCD, Avisynth and HC for conversion of the video
    5. ffmpeg for conversion of the audio
    6. GuiforDVDAuthor with Muxman multiplexing for authoring and menu creation.
    7. ImgBurn for burning.
    Quote Quote  
  15. VDubMod refuses to do anything with the file, citing various error codes.

Whenever I convert it to VOB, MPG, or anything else, the audio ends up out of sync.
    The exception to this being when using TMPGEnc, as the audio just cuts out 15-20 minutes in (this doesn't happen on any of the others) in the muxed VOB files.

It seems there's something at that point in the video that's causing the audio to either vanish, or go out of sync.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by koberulz
    VDubMod refuses to do anything with the file, citing various error codes.
    You mean, every time you load the source in VDubMod, you have different errors?
    And what said GSpot for the file?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I know the answer to your problem, but you were too rude to the others who wanted to help you. Best of luck.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I must have missed the "being rude" part.

GSpot:

0x0055 MPEG-2 Layer 3 CBR audio, 16000Hz 40 kb/s tot , Joint Stereo, Codec(s) Installed
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by koberulz
    VDubMod refuses to do anything with the file, citing various error codes.

Whenever I convert it to VOB, MPG, or anything else, the audio ends up out of sync.
    The clue is in these sentences. No doubt, the source file has errors, preventing successful conversion to other formats.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  20. Is there any way I could get around these problems?
    Quote Quote