VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a freeware program that you can suggest? I want to trim the videos I captured from my HD camcorder using Capdvhs. Windows Movie Maker will do it but there is no option to retain the original MPEG2 format. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Without encoding is the tough part, especially with free apps. Plunk down $50 and get Videoredo . You won't regret it. That's one of the few commercials apps I'd ever recommend.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Codecpage - yeah, mpg2cut2 is a great app, but it doesn't work well with transport streams.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know about HD video but for regular mpeg2 I don't think you can beat Cuttermaran in the free department. You'll need a demultiplexer, bbdmux is a good one. I wrote a small batch file and you are welcome to it, you can just drop files one at a time on it and let it go, the resulting files can be loaded into Cuttermaran and cut as you please. Read the documentation for informaton about cutting mpegs with out re-encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, guys.

I'll give mpg2cut2 a try and see what happens. My other option is to re-capture from the tape. But my lemon Sony HC-3 broke for the third time. I might as well wait for it to be fixed AGAIN.

What happened was, I captured about 25 minutes of HD-MPEG2. Just enough to fill the DVD. Problem is halfway, the PC's hard drive became busy (this problem is discussed in another thread). I did not realize that it affected the capture.

I already re-captured that problem part thinking that I can cut the original capture and then record them on DVD as two files. I can live with that. Anyway, the PC's hard drive could not behave well in full 25 minutes. But my Sony does not like me.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    mpeg2cut2 worked! Thanks guys.

Only problem is during the cutting, there is no preview video. Just audio. I played it first in WMP then I put the marker to the end time I want and voila! It's very fast and N'SYNC. I hope anyone who knows this software can tell me how to get the preview video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MpegStreamClip - save to TS. It has a good preview and will cut on "I" frames without re-encoding.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote