VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys

I'm wondering if anyone tell me the name of a good program for improving Mpeg and AVI picture quality. The reason I ask is becauseI have family videos in those formats on my pc and would like to burn them as a DVD, but picture quality is not as sharp as I would like it to be. Any information woulld be a great help, Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You may be able to improve the 'look' of the video with some filtering, but you can't really restore quality that's not there.

You might try VirtualDub Mod. It has many filters available. You could experiment with some filtering and see what you can do. VD Mod only outputs AVI type video, but accepts MPEG video.

A few filters: http://www.thedeemon.com/VDFilter/list.html or http://neuron2.net/

VD also has quite a few guides available on it's tool page, near the bottom.

I would suggest you start with a short representative clip, maybe ten minutes, then try some different filters and settings. You can preview the results before saving the actual video.

Also you would get more advice on this type of subject in our Restoration Forum. Moving you.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thank you for such a quick reply, it's mainly just blurring and a pixel problem I'm having. I'll check throught the links you suggested. Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by nexous
    I'm wondering if anyone tell me the name of a good program for improving Mpeg and AVI picture quality.
    What is the source of these videos, are they from VHS captures, a cam? The best place to start with restoration is at the top or doing things correctly to begin with. Simple mistakes can create enormous problems down the road. MPEG for example is a "final format", if possible you should convert to MPEG after you fo through the steps of filtering.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Depending on the source, you have to accept that you will not get DVD quality. VHS, for instance, simply does not enough data to give you sharp, detailed images when blown up to DVD. Sharpening will generally give you more noise, but little, if any, extra detail.

If you can post a short clip of the type of isses you are having, we might be able to suggest other avenues as well, or specific settings and filters to try.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote