VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I live in the UK and my cousin has returned to the UK from the USA with a good number of US recorded NTSC VHS Tapes non copywrite/protected.

He wants to pop up later in the month for a family reuninion and whlist here we would like to transfer his NTSC VHS tapes to PAL DVD.

I would like to do this via a DVD recorder VHS Combi unit. I notice they all seem to promise NTSC play back but will they allow a NTSC VHS DUB to PAL DVD and if so can anyone recommend a unit?

Thanks in advance!
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. None will convert ntsc to a pal dvd or vice versa, you have to convert the signal before recording it.

The Panasonic ES45 SAYS it plays and recors both pal and ntsc but again will not convert.

If it does anything at all it will record a ntsc vhs to a ntsc dvd(You can use the same discs), but make sure your output is set to pal otherwise your tv will not show it,but if my suspcion is right the combo will record in NTSC none the less.

If your aim is to have a copy of his tapes I would just record them as NTSC as most UK dvd players will play both pal and ntsc on a pal TV.

The best way if none of the above is possible is for him to take them back to the US and record them to NTSC dvd their and send you a copy.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  3. HI thanks for the full reply. These are family camcorder footage he has put onto VHS.

Taking your reply into account I have a plan "B" as he has returned to the UK for the foreseeable future.

If we were to use a NTSC Vhs deck connected to a Canopus ADVC capture box set to NTSC and then use a burning program to burn the file onto DVD encoded to PAL would the finished article be any better than ...

using a standard PAL Vhs Deck putting out PAL 60 and capturing the output via a PC capture card and burning the file and basically ignoring the NTSC nature of the tape?

I have done the latter before and the image quality was not as good as when I use PAL tapes but then I don't know how much of that is due to PAL being better than NTSC anyway?

Help!
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. Outputting pal 60 will not usually work,,capture them as ntsc then play them on most uk dvd players, converting is ok but takes time and as you are in the uk why bother
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi Terry,

I have found the NTSC playback of some machines a bit iffy especially if the tape has Macrovision copy protection (not that these tapes do).

You are right about the time though, I probable will do both a go and see which works out best shame there is not a combi drive that will convert.

Thanks for taking the time to answer me!
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  6. well as I said,,try the Panasonic ES45,,I am 99% certain it will record ntsc tapes as Ntsc ,, easilly and in good quality.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
  7. yes just got one from the UK,it works on 110 volts and will copy pal vhs tapes to pal dvd and ntsc vhs to ntsc dvd.

Great machine
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hi,
    Great news thanks for taking the time to reply!
    thanks
    Quote Quote