VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Can someone pleeease explain me those expressions?
    Qpel
    GMC
    B-VOP (Max consecutive B-VOPs)
    N-VOP

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    QPel and GMC should be avoided for best compatibility with standalone DVD players, should you care about that. Technically you can use GMC, but you have to keep the warp point at 1. Xvid defaults to 3 and that's a problem on most standalone DVD players that support Divx.
    Quote Quote  
  3. jagabo,
    thanks for the links! they're great!

jman98,
    thanks for the tip too!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually Xvid uses whatever warp points it can, excluding 1 warp point since it is basically useless. If it only finds one reference it just ignores and encode a P-VOP. So you will get 2/3 warp points.

If you encode using a Home Theatre profile, then Xvid will disable Qpel, GMC, limit B-VOP's to 1 consecutive and in my builds force no N-VOP's (ESS based players don't like them). With regular Xvid builds, if two frames are 100% identical, it will drop one and insert an N-VOP.
    Quote Quote  
  5. thanks for your reply man!

Originally Posted by celtic_druid
    force no N-VOP's (ESS based players don't like them). With regular Xvid builds, if two frames are 100% identical, it will drop one and insert an N-VOP.
    now i'm confused...
    what if i want ESS and MediaTek compatible?
    should i disable\enable N-VOP's?

Thanks In Advance!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by GangstaRap
    what if i want ESS and MediaTek compatible?
    should i disable\enable N-VOP's?
    Go for the lowest common denominator. Disable N-VOPs.
    Quote Quote  
  7. jagabo, thanks for that man!
    Quote Quote  
  8. OK i've got another question,
    its about the link you gave me:
    http://www.gromkov.com/faq/conversion/xvid_options.html
    its really great and it helped me a lot.
    in this Explanation the author recommend to define "AS@Level5(Profile), nothing else".
    why is it really matter to pick AS@Level5 over Unrestricted if i'm gonna leave the default xvid preferences anyway?

thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  9. The profile levels force some limitations on the encoder. For example, some set-top players have trouble with bitrates over 3000 kbps. Using AS@level4 will limit the bitrate to a max of 3000 kbps in a 2-pass encode. Unrestricted might end up using more than 3000 kbps in some scenes.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    The profile levels force some limitations on the encoder. For example, some set-top players have trouble with bitrates over 3000 kbps. Using AS@level4 will limit the bitrate to a max of 3000 kbps in a 2-pass encode. Unrestricted might end up using more than 3000 kbps in some scenes.
    Not only is this true, on some standalone DVD players that support Divx, if the video bit rate is above 2000 Kbps, the player may not be able to play any audio correctly except for MP3. If you want to use Dolby AC3 or DTS audio with a Divx/Xvid encode, you probably should keep your video bit rate below 2000 for best results. You may need to stay below 1500 if you use DTS, but that's a just a general guideline. It's best to test with specific players as some may have more recent decoding chips that can tolerate higher bit rates.
    Quote Quote  
  11. first of all thanks for your support! you're the best!

so is it precise to say that the lowest the profile(AS@level X) level will be - the more compatible in DVD players it'll be?

thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, ESS is the lowest you can get (well excluding SunPlus). For hardware compatiblity you should stick with the Home Theater profiles.
    Quote Quote  
  13. celtic_druid, thanks for your post man!

so, Home Theater will get me maximum compatibility?
    ESS players cant handle AS@levelX?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ASP means GMC and qpel. So I don't think any players can handle ASP@L?. Sure you can turn them off, but the HT profiles use VBV values based on DivX's HT profile. If you just look at the max bitrate for example L5 is too high and L4 is too low. Some players can handle higher bitrates/spikes which is why I added extra MTK profiles. Really though players should have been designed around ASP@L5 I guess though.
    Quote Quote  
  15. celtic_druid, thanks again man! appreciate it!
    so your advice is HT and to disable GMC and qpel for best compatibility?
    anything else i should consider?

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My advice is HT which doesn't let you enable GMC or qpel. No need to disable them.
    Quote Quote  
  17. celtic_druid, OK Thanks for the great help man!
    Quote Quote