VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I am a complete newbie to video conversion and codecs. First of all I want to apologize if this is already posted someplace, I did do a quick search but never found what I am wondering. I understand that certain files require a certain codec to be played and know how to find and install them but thats about it. So, what I have done so far is I have an OGM file, lets say file1.ogm and an ssa file called file1.ssa. The ssa is considerably smaller than the ogm. Also, the ogm is dual audio, so it has Japanese and English both playing at the same time. I can play the file in Windows Media Player 11 with the RedLight OGG Media codec installed. I am wondering, how can I convert the OGM file to a AVI which has plain English playback. If anybody has any advice at all, that would be wonderful haha. Thanks a lot!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Something like:
    mencoder -ovc copy -oac mp3lame -alang eng -mc 0 -vf harddup input.ogm -o output.avi

Should copy the video, re-encode the English audio to mp3 and remux to avi, without dropping frames.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First: if you really must use Windows Media Player to play videos that have more than one audio or subtitle stream, you might want to install a splitter to allow you to choose between the audio streams (in AVI, OGM, MKV, MP4, etc.), like Morgan Stream Switcher, or better yet, Haali's Media Splitter.
    The better choice would be to use a player that's better-equipped to handle videos with multiple streams, like Media Player Classic, VLC, mplayer, etc.

An OGM video is usually (at least, in my experience) an XVid AVI video stream (no audio), along with one or more Ogg audio streams (and maybe subtitle streams). I'm not as experienced with mencoder (apologies to celtic_druid ), so I use a different method.

Demux the streams from the OGM container using OGMDemuxer (a command-line tool, but you can create a shortcut to it on your desktop and drag OGM videos onto the shortcut). (You can also use VirtualDubMod for this, but I prefer using OGMDemuxer.

Find the audio stream you want to use, and convert it to MP3, if you prefer. Then load the AVI video stream in VirtualDubMod and add the audio stream to the AVI.

(Side note: the SSA file is an external subtitle file.)
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote