VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Just bought 50 packs of GQ dvd-r16x from Fry's , checked media code is ISSM.
    Never heard of ISSM.
    Burnt in Imac G5 , with toast, only max of 2x and failed verification.
    Horrible.
    Don't buy.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I could've told you it's horrible. Don't ever buy some offbrand, especially something called "Great Quality (GQ)". Fry's used to carry Made In Japan TY and Maxell discs and some other good discs. But these are long gone. Have to order the good stuff online these days.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Until they switched to ISSM, the GQ DVD-R media was actually made by Sony and worked great with my Mac's persnickety Superdrives. Cheap and good...so of course it couldn't last. This ISSM stuff is so new that firmware upgrades haven't really shown up yet; my Dell laptop refuses even to burn the stuff ("invalid something or other"), and my Superdrives will only give it a shot at 2x. Luckily, my standalone DVD recorder accepts them fine, and since they only have to function at 1x speed for that purpose, I won't have to waste any of the discs I bought.

But it sure as hell is annoying. As Wile_E said, it'll soon be time to hunt elsewhere for media.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ISSM is not new, it's just crap.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. [url=http]text[/url] Denvers Dawgs's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I still don't understand why people buy cheap media? The more expensive SL media isn't all that expensive in the first place? I recently bought (2) 100pk of verbatim 8x dvd+r for $20 online. Now that is cheap for great quality discs.....
    What We Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity....
    Quote Quote