VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the .vob files of a movie on my computer. When I play the files directly on the computer, they play fine. When i burn a DVD using the same files, it plays the DVD fine on my computer. However, no matter what software I use, the type of DVD, or the different burning speeds, the DVD always skips every couple minutes on the DVD player on my tv. I have tested it on 3 different players, using different types of DVD's and speeds, but it always skips. I am all out of ideas. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Do you have Ifo and Bup files or just the vobs?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have .vob . ifo and .bup files.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Soft players (on a computer) are much more 'forgiving' than stand alone players. Try to demux the vob files (i.e. with pgcdemux) and remux with muxman. In case of no errors, just try to burn the 'new' structure, otherwise examine the error messages.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try opening it with DVD Shrink, just to see if it is intact. Shrink can be pretty picky if things aren't right. If it fails, run it through FixVTS and try again.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies guys i will try the suggestions when i get back home and post my results. Thanks!

EDIT: What are the options i should be using with the demux program?
    Quote Quote  
  7. ...What are the options i should be using with the demux program?
    That depends a little bit on your source.

Try this guide:
    https://www.videohelp.com/guides/simplistic-guide-for-replacing-dvd-streams-flash-id937#937
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like all you need is better media - use Taiyo Yudens or Verbatims. Verify your burns and do a PIPO check afterwards. Ensure your DMA is on, too.

Maybe clean your drive, too.

Regards
    Les
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do i need all those other programs? I have PgcDemux and MuxMan. Is there anything i can try with just those two?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If it plays OK on your PC software player, you got a problem with the burn or your standalone. No amount of demuxing, remuxing, fixing VTSs etc will help. Please see my previous post.

Regards
    Les
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by oinkyboinky
    Do i need all those other programs? I have PgcDemux and MuxMan. Is there anything i can try with just those two?
    No, these two are enough.
    I assume, that you have already created other DVDs with your drive and your media, which do not show this kind of skipping?

Otherwise blutach is probably right with with suggestion...

Have you tried guns1inger suggestion (dvdshrink) already? This would be much more simple...

If you want to go the demux/remux way, in very short:
    Open pgcdemux and set an output folder, the 'Input IFO' is the VTS_01_0.IFO file in your VIDEO_TS folder (if you have several VTS_XX_0.IFO files, the process gets more complicated...), use Mode: by PGC, set a tag at the options:
    Demux video stream
    Demux all audio streams
    Demux all subpic streams
    Create CellTimes.txt
    PGC Selection - Domain: Titles

and click on Process!
    If there are several PGCs, you need to process each one into a different output folder and things are getting more complicated, as these would need joining. Otherwise (only one PGC) open MuxMan and select the VideoFile.m2v from your pgcdemux output folder as video, the AudioFile(s)_XX... as audio file(s) and the sup files as subpictures. Select 'File - Import Chapter' from the menu in MuxMan and select the Celltimes.txt from your pgcdemux output folder. Set up a destination folder and click start.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the suggestions, and here's a little update. I bought some verbatim dvds, and burned at a slow speed, but the skipping is still there. Any other ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  13. ...but the skipping is still there.
    Only for a particular title, or for every DVD you burn?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Other files work fine. It is these specific .vob files i am having trouble with.
    Quote Quote  
  15. If demux + remux doesn't help, then there is probably something wrong with the video/audio streams. Sometimes the only way is reencoding the streams. There are a lot of guides available for this purpose. I would start with the demultiplexed m2v from pgcdemux and tmpgenc, hc or cce to encode the video only. If remuxing the new video with the 'old' audio stream(s) is ok, keep it. Otherwise transcode the audio too (first to wav and then to AC3).
    Quote Quote