VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am doing a DL of these type of files, dvdr.roo.bc-dvdr.ro1.bc ,etc,etc, I have never seen these before(easy because I am new). I have to figure out how to convert or not depending on what these are. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks....Crowheart
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    what's important is the last 3 letters... what are they?
    I am just a worthless liar,
    I am just an imbecil
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Looks like RAR files, and once you have them all, you can unpack them.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Those could be RAR files. Try WinRAR or similar for that. But RAR files would end in .r01, r02, etc.

And if you haven't done this, in any folder, 'Tools>Folder Options>View' and uncheck 'Hide extensions for known file types', or you may not be seeing the extensions.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Excuse my ignorance what are RAR files?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    RAR is a compression format similar to a Zip file. It's commonly used on the internet to split large files into many smaller parts to allow them to be sent over slower connections. You need all the parts to reassemble the file. When you install WinRAR, it will give you a selection menu with extraction options when you right click on one of the RAR files. I believe the freeware 7-zip can also extract them. http://www.7-zip.org/

Or more about RAR files: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WinRAR

There are also PAR files, which are used for error correction and to replace lost parts of the file. Other programs are normally used for them, such as QuickPAR.

If they end in other than .r01, etc., you may have to modify them before the program recognizes them. For a average video, there may be about 40 RAR files.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is a great forum! Thanks for all of your help. Hopefully someday I can be of help to someone who needs some advice on this subject.

Thanks.....Crowheart
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    And if you haven't done this, in any folder, 'Tools>Folder Options>View' and uncheck 'Hide extensions for known file types', or you may not be seeing the extensions.
    this is one of the DUMBEST, most confusing features of windows, and i often forget file extensions are hidden by default on most users' computers...
    I am just a worthless liar,
    I am just an imbecil
    Quote Quote  
  9. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I have come across people that had that checked and had videos titled like 'movie.mpg.avi' where they couldn't see the .avi extension and wondered why they wouldn't play in their MPEG player. I assume at some point someone had tried to change the extension and added the mpg one.

I guess either MS didn't want to clutter up the screen or having the extension made the filenames too long.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    I guess either MS didn't want to clutter up the screen or having the extension made the filenames too long.
    My guess, is that MS thinks file extension is irrelevant to Average Joe - He clicks on the file, and the associated app opens it, and that's it for A J.

/Mats
    Quote Quote