VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does anybody know how to use PayPal $15 rebate on purchases? According to PayPal site a $1.50 fee is charged to have them send a check, but free options are transfer to bank account which takes 3-4 days and shop at over 42,000 stores that use PayPal which is instant according to their site. Is the $15 automatically applied on next PayPal purchase, or how does one elect to use the $15 on purchases? I submitted inquiry to PayPal but no answer yet.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bevills1
    free options are transfer to bank account which takes 3-4 days
    I don't know, but I suspect by the time you get a correct answer and use it you could probably have had the $15 transfered to your bank account twice.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

You are not very clear on this 15.00 rebate or how you got the rebate, but I presume that you have a PayPal account and have a balance of 15.00. Which you can use to purchase items from paypal shops (and probably eBay) which accept PayPal as a form of payment. I used to work paypal tech support some time ago. It does indeed cost 1.50 for PayPal to cut a check and send it to you. But I presume you would rather have them mail you a check than transfer to your bank account? I assume again that you dont want to transfer to your bank account because you do not have your bank account attatched to the paypal system and do not wish to do so. When you log into your PayPal account do you see a paypal balance of 15.00?

If your talking about gift certificates or reward vouchers? Which you can find by logging into your paypal account and clicking on My Account .. then The Profile sub tab then gift certificates and vouchers it will explain to you in there how to use them. Depending on what and where you buy, you may still have to add a credit card to have a confirmed address anyway. Since I don't really know your account or what your doing with it and it has been awhile since I worked there, much of this is speculation about their current system and how to use it. You can always call them to ask more questions 1-888-221-1161.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Be careful, once you give paypal acces to your bank account, they may use it to remove funds which they feel are justified in any dispute they have with you.

Also, if your PayPal account is hacked, the hacker can clean out your bank account causing any checks you have outstanding to bounce.

It is risky behavior. Many paypal users maintain a separate checking account for PayPal, or get a PayPal debit card to allow them to withdraw funds at ATMs (there may be a fee).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by bevills1
    Does anybody know how to use PayPal $15 rebate on purchases? According to PayPal site a $1.50 fee is charged to have them send a check, but free options are transfer to bank account which takes 3-4 days and shop at over 42,000 stores that use PayPal which is instant according to their site. Is the $15 automatically applied on next PayPal purchase, or how does one elect to use the $15 on purchases? I submitted inquiry to PayPal but no answer yet.
    I got my $15 added to my account no fees .maybe the fee for paper check
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by oldandinthe way
    Be careful, once you give paypal acces to your bank account, they may use it to remove funds which they feel are justified in any dispute they have with you.

Also, if your PayPal account is hacked, the hacker can clean out your bank account causing any checks you have outstanding to bounce.

It is risky behavior. Many paypal users maintain a separate checking account for PayPal, or get a PayPal debit card to allow them to withdraw funds at ATMs (there may be a fee).
    Its good to give caution about account security and idenitty theft, but really .. I've had paypal for years even before I worked for them with no problems. If your smart enough about your personal information and security you wont be giving any 'hacker' information about your PayPal account and I really dont think 'hacker' is the right term here. More often people simply give out the information without thinking about what they are doing by an unsolicited email.. is that hacking? No .. that is an unscrupulous individual with no life stealing your identity to "clean out your bank account" The only time PayPal takes money out of your bank account is if the money has been recieved fraudulently. Or a dispute had been resolved and it wasnt in your favor. It sounds to me you may either be speaking from a bad experience on eBay or from what you read on the web. You should always be careful with your personal information whether it be online or anywhere else. I am not trying to be a paypal fanboy but .. trying to 'scare this person' into thinking he's going to get 'hacked' and I use that hacked term only becuase you did is simply ridiculous.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try reading the PayPal message board on the Ebay site. There are frightening stories there. Recently there has been a rash of reversals of fraudulent payments, which is we can believe the posters, both buyer and seller believe to be legit. And the sellers have complied with PayPal's seller protection program. I don;t normally read these posts, but periodically I cehck to see if the PayPal risk still exceeds my tolerance.

The reason PayPal phishing emails are sent by the hundreds of thousands is to do exactly what I suggested.

I am not suggesting that people avoid PayPal, I am suggesting they know their risks and make intelligent decisions and protect themselves.

I believe giving PayPal access to a checking account which is important to my life is too high a risk.

A bank account dedicated to PayPal would be useful if lots of Ebay selling was important to me.

PayPal will take money from your bank account where there is infringement of their rules, not just fraud. For example, make a credit card purchase, then file a dispute with the credit card issuer without filing a PayPal dispute, PayPal will recover the amount of the credit card chargeback from your bank account.

There is a reason for the length of the PayPal agreement, it is complex and hard to understand but it spells out the rules. And those rules were invented by PayPal, not the government, not bank regulators.

Many people never have a problem with PayPal, but some people do and it is important to understand why they do, how to avoid it, and what can go wrong.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Paypal does not have my bank info.
    Paypal will never have it again.
    Paypal did attempt to illegally remove nearly 2K from my checking account 4 years ago.
    I will never be verified.
    Nor do you. If someone on ebay wont sell to you because of this - dont buy from them.
    I still use PayPal - I just dont let them into my bank account.

Read the section on fraud: PayPal only insures your purchase to $200 - and collects $25 from that amount for their "fraud investigation". This means: If you pay $600 for a Playstation 3, you receive $175 back if the seller doesn't ship it.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

I have mine linked to and account that i don't keep much money. I also change my password frequently.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try reading the PayPal message board on the Ebay site. There are frightening stories there. Recently there has been a rash of reversals of fraudulent payments, which is we can believe the posters, both buyer and seller believe to be legit. And the sellers have complied with PayPal's seller protection program. I don;t normally read these posts, but periodically I cehck to see if the PayPal risk still exceeds my tolerance.

The reason PayPal phishing emails are sent by the hundreds of thousands is to do exactly what I suggested.
    You suggested hackers wich is totally different than phishers.

I am not suggesting that people avoid PayPal, I am suggesting they know their risks and make intelligent decisions and protect themselves.
    I didnt say you sounded like you were trying to make him avoid paypal, but you also didnt explain yourself very well which is one way of 'freaking out' a person about using the service, you bascially didnt tell the whole truth, you suggested paypal will take your money from your bank account if they feel like it. Well.. in some cases they will when suspected fraudulent behaviour or as you suggested finally in this post for filing a chargeback with your credit card co. without first filing a buyer complaint with PayPal.

I believe giving PayPal access to a checking account which is important to my life is too high a risk.
    This is of course your opinion and your entitled to have it.

A bank account dedicated to PayPal would be useful if lots of Ebay selling was important to me.
    I agree

PayPal will take money from your bank account where there is infringement of their rules, not just fraud. For example, make a credit card purchase, then file a dispute with the credit card issuer without filing a PayPal dispute, PayPal will recover the amount of the credit card chargeback from your bank account.
    To most companies filing a chargeback is fraudulent behavior regardless of weather it was warranted. To a company .. its like the term ' Indian Giving ' I am not going to even try to defend why they do it, but I do see it as good business sense to protect themselves from Buyer fraud.

There is a reason for the length of the PayPal agreement, it is complex and hard to understand but it spells out the rules. And those rules were invented by PayPal, not the government, not bank regulators.
    It is long and I still havnt read it all even having worked for them.

Many people never have a problem with PayPal, but some people do and it is important to understand why they do, how to avoid it, and what can go wrong.
    Thats right it IS important to understand why they do have problems, that is why your first post kinda made me grit my teeth... tell the whole truth or dont pretend you know it all. As far as that goes unless we have back end access to their paypal account and their ' INTENTIONS ' WE will never know who committed said fraudulent behavior.

This will be my last post on this subject in this thread.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I get Phising emails almost every other day from people trying to get my ebay or paypal info. I used to submit them to paypal or ebay but its gotten out of hand so I just delete them now.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    PayPal doesn't have my bank account info which is why I'd like to use it on my next purchase and avoid the fee charged for sending a check. The $15 rebate was from a Spring promo PayPal had where $15 cash rebate is posted to PayPal account for purchases for $30 or more within the rebate period, and the $15 is shown in my PayPal account. I'd just like to use it on next PayPal purchase but don't know whether it's automatic or something need be done to use it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I used mine. You may want to check the sites that accept PayPal like www.supermediastore.com . Get some discs and burn them - you'll feel like a new man.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just ordered PCMCIA wireless adapter from NewEgg, and during PayPal payment selection process a message was given that payment would be sent from PayPal account when request is received from seller, and "If you hold a PayPal balance at that time, your payment will be drawn from your PayPal balance before the funding sources you have selected." In other words any PayPal balance is used before credit card is charged for balance of purchase amount for others who may want to know.
    Quote Quote