VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    I'm going crazy trying to get this ffmpegx to work. I was told it's the only free and best way to convert .mov to .flv. Everytime I drop a video into the Source Format it says unrecognized. I think this is because the mpeg2enc binary has not been installed. I'd love to install it but when I go to the site that offers it for download I just get a jumble of code. The other two binaries are installed fine but this one is not giving me a break. Can someone send the binary to me by chance? Or if this is not the issue it says "Unrecognized" can someone help me solve this?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You would get more answers in our ffmpegx forums. And it would also help us if you filled out your computer details. I'm guessing you have a Mac or you wouldn't be using ffmpegx.

Moving you to the ffmpegx forum.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ok thanks, didn't realize there was an ffmpegx section. Well here are my details:

I have a G5 PowerMac
    Mac OS 10.3.9
    Final Cut Express 2+QuickTime 7 Converter
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First, ffmpegx is technically shareware, not freeware.

Second, the answer to your question is a couple of posts below yours, courtesy of Case. See it here: https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=328758

That "jumble of code" is in fact the code you want, so it's actually working fine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    a/ When converting .mov to .flv, you won't need the mpeg2enc binary, as that binary is only used for conversions to MPEG-1/-2, e.g. VCD/SVCD/DVD.
    b/ Because your source file is .mov, you may want to tick the "Decode with QT" checkbox in the Options tab. Then ffmpegX uses QuickTime to read the source file, which may help for codecs that ffmpeg isn't able to decode on its own.
    c/ If it still won't convert, then it would be helpful to know some details about your source file: video codec, frame size, framerate, audio codec, sample rate, duration. 'Show Movie Info' and 'Show Movie Properties' in QuickTime Player should help you find these.
    Quote Quote