VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My first time buying one. Should I get one with the hard-drive so I can edit out the commercials when copying VHS tapes and recording TV programs, or can I just pause the DVD during recording?

Which are the best models with and without the hard-drive? Thanks so much.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That decision pretty much is made for you. The hard drive models are essentially gone in the U.S. You can pause during recording or you can extract the MPEGs from your recorded DVDs to a computer where you can cut out the commercials. In the latter case you might want to record to DVD-RW, DVD+RW or DVD-RAM in VR mode and re-use the discs after transferring to the computer.

You also might forgo a DVD recorder and get one of the hardware MPEG encoders that connect to a computer. In the Mac world that is an EyeTV or other brand that uses EyeTV software.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks so much - a great help!
    Quote Quote  
  4. While more expensive, I think having an HDD makes a recorder much more versatile, as you're not limited to how much a single disc can hold. You really don't want to use more than 4h mode on a DVD. Personally, I only use 1 or 2h recording mode.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You might want to also look for one with an ATSC (digital) tuner. Those are just starting to come out now, and I've seen one or two models at Best Buy and Circuit City.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BoilerUp
    You might want to also look for one with an ATSC (digital) tuner. Those are just starting to come out now, and I've seen one or two models at Best Buy and Circuit City.
    Yeah, but none of those have a hard drive. And you might not ever see one in the US because all the companies that would make them are afraid of gettign sued by TIVO who, for some reason, think it would be a copywright infringement if were were allowed to record to a hard drive from an over the air tuner. Supposedly there will be a Polaroid and Phillips model this summer, but that's not certain. Makes me wonder if a Japanese model with an ATSC tuner and HD would work for OTA digital recording in the US since both are NTSC. Anyway, the best you can do so far is one that uses a DVD-RAM and hs "chase play". I'm waiting for the Toshiba D-VR650 since it specs out better than the competing Panasonics in that it plays VCD's and SVCD's and it has the HDMI output. On the Panasonics you would have to get their most expensive one just to get HDMI output, and the VCR section of DVD recorder/VCR combo units can't record from the digital tuner. I am not sure if any of them can, but the Panasonic manuals clearly state (moe than once) in the manual that you can't.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That JVC drm100 that was on sale at ecost, if its still available.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yes, go for the hard disc drive feature if you can find one. May be some Toshiba's left around the net. The hard drive is a great addition.
    Good luck,
    NL
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hard drive all the way!! I got one without first and after just a couple of days realized my mistake so I took it back and got one with an HDD for more than twice as much money but it made me 10x happier
    In addition to what has already been mentioned, I transfer some older tapes to HDD on the recorder and then burn them to DVDs.
    Quote Quote