VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I'm trying to capture using virtualdub, but I'm only able to capture uncompressed video (DX50).

Is it possible to capture with video compression?

When i'm changing the the output in "Pin Capture", the "ActiveMovie Window" is showing and when I closed it the preview in Virtualdub is gone, is this right?

Thanks In Advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by LeFreak
    Hi,

I'm trying to capture using virtualdub, but I'm only able to capture uncompressed video (DX50).
    DX50 sounds like the Divx 5 codec. Examine one of your caps with AVICodec or GSpot and see what they say about the compression.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just checked with Gspot,

DX50 (Divx 5.x/6.x) is the capture format.

I have Xvid also installed, but when i'm in capture in virtualdub I can't choose another codec than DX50 and I got no options to define the compression.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The Plextor M402U is a hardware MPEG4 encoder. It compresses the video before it gets to the computer. DX50 is just an identifier that tells the computer that an MPEG4 decoder is needed to play the video. Xvid and Divx are both MPEG4 codecs and roughly equivalent.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks!

Where I can change the compression rate of the hardware? now a 2 hours capture needs around 3GB space.

And this way I have to recompress it always after the capture.

I thought that I was possible to add also some software compression.

With the included software Windvd Creator I can choose between some different Divx profiles.

But in virtualdub I get no options only Dx50.

Windvd works great but it always encodes the audio in Mpeg Audio, got some troubles to edit the movie in virtualdub in this format.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by LeFreak
    Where I can change the compression rate of the hardware? now a 2 hours capture needs around 3GB space.
    I don't know. You may have to use the software that came with the card. Look for bitrate settings. The lower the bitrate the smaller the file.

If you were capturing uncompressed YUY2 video 2 hours would be about 150 GB. Uncompressed RGB would be even bigger, about 225 GB!

You won't get as good compression out of a realtime hardware encoder as you would from a multipass software encode. That is to say, at the same file size, the picture quality won't be as good. So don't expect to capture a 45 minute TV episode in 350 MB and have it look as good as a DVD rip of the same size.
    Quote Quote