VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I'm looking for a program(preferably one i don't need to pay for!) that can rotate a 3gp video so i can view it the right way up, but vitally, i must also be able to save the video so that the rotation will be permanent. I need to be able to upload the video and so it has to be the right way up so it can be viewed. I can find a few applications that will rotate the video when viewing, but none that will save it as rotated.

Any help is much appreciated

Kind Regards
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TMPGEnc 4.0 can re-encode this using a filter to flip or rotate the video orientation.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I've done a step by step guide on how to convert 3gp to AVI etc then rotate it with Windows Movie Maker and save it as WMV (which you can convert back to 3gp etc if you wish), all with free software. Hope it helps.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You will need to go to the add filters and find rotate as it is not one of the default options, you can then move this to the top and save the profile

The 3GP is an MPG4 codec and to my knowledge TMPG Xpress will handle upto 90 of all codecs.

LOL
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Spideray
    You will need to go to the add filters and find rotate as it is not one of the default options, you can then move this to the top and save the profile

The 3GP is an MPG4 codec and to my knowledge TMPG Xpress will handle upto 90 of all codecs.

LOL
    Grab a copy of Quicktime; get a password and register it so that it becomes Quick Time Pro (for example, find a copy of Quicktime for the Web in your local library; it contains a copy of Quicktime and a serial for both WIN and Mac).

Open the 3GP file in Quicktime. Access Movie Properties (Movie > Get Move Properties via the menu, or [ctrl]+[j] for the shortcut): a pop-up window opens. In the popup, select "Video Track" from the "Movie" dropdown on the left; select "Size" from the other dropdown on the right. Click one of the rotate icons to rotate the video 90^ in the appropriate direction. Close the popup window.

To save a copy of the rotated video, export the video in the desired format (the default is Quicktime): via the menu, click File > export and select the desired format from the "Export" dropdown, or use the shortcut [ctrl]+[e] to open the export window.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there an easier way to do this? I have a bunch of cell phone videos that need to be rotated. TMPGEnc appears to only have a free trial version (implying you eventually have to pay for it). Looking for free program for this. The step by step guide is cool but way too time consuming and intricate than what I'm looking for.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dj928
    Is there an easier way to do this? I have a bunch of cell phone videos that need to be rotated. TMPGEnc appears to only have a free trial version (implying you eventually have to pay for it). Looking for free program for this. The step by step guide is cool but way too time consuming and intricate than what I'm looking for.

Thanks
    Avidemux is very simple and freeware. It can open 3gp, rotate and save to AVI
    The flag once raised will never fall!
    Quote Quote